B&W picture with color thumbnail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
I have this JPG file. When I open it in Preview or Photoshop, it is black and white. But in the Finder (in column view), it's in color.
I guess my question is, how do I get the full size picture in color?

http://comp3769.tripod.com/colorbw.jpg

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The image is actually in grayscale, it looks like you (or someone) edited the picture in Photoshop, but Finder hasn't been able to replace the thumbnail for some reason.

Open it in Photoshop and, in the menubar, click "Image">>"Mode">> and make sure it's set to a color option such as RGB or CMYK. If it's on grayscale then see if you can get it to switch over to RGB, but most likely it's not going to do anything.

Try opening it with iPhoto. If it too sees it in B/W, then Finder is definitely just stuck with the old thumbnail.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
"make sure it's set to a color option such as RGB or CMYK"
Already tried.

It opens in B&W in iPhoto too.
But if I open it in Preview with another image file, it's thumbnail in the drawer is color.

As a simple workaround, I tried taking a snapshot of the thumbnail, opening that and the original in Photoshop, resizing the thumbnail so it was the same size as the original, and setting it to half opacity. Here's what that looked like:
http://comp3769.tripod.com/colorized.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
haha, that was an awesome idea. Looks decent, quality wise, too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.