Boot camp Xp, installing service pack 2 after windows?

M

macymacmac

This is my first post, so Hello!
Has anyone had much luck installing xp on their intel mac with a copy that doesn't include service pack 2 (i.e. installing service pack 2 seperately)?

I have tried this on my macbook pro (before installing the mac drivers) and the following is what happened:
1. Windows installed fine.
2. I ejected the xp cd and put in a cd with service pack 2 that i had burnt earlier.
3. It begun to install fine until the final little bit when it stopped and said there was not enough space on my drive to fit the remaining 2mb on (obviously not true, as I had over 7gb of space left over).

Anyone have any ideas on getting around this, or success stories? I am not a super techy, so maybe I tired something out of my depth.

I also tried installing the mac drivers, and it again haulted when it couldnt find the usb2 driver in windows.

Any help anyone provides would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I thought you had to have a full Windows XP SP2 retail disc to get it to load properly. I was not under the impression that you could upgrade to SP2, but that the initial instal had to be SP2.

OP
M

macymacmac

baggss said:
I thought you had to have a full Windows XP SP2 retail disc to get it to load properly. I was not under the impression that you could upgrade to SP2, but that the initial instal had to be SP2.

I used a single disk copy of xp that was released before the days of service pack 2, hence I downloaded sp2 and put it on a disk to install l8r. The install of windows worked fine, but sp2 would not install, nor would the drivers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
baggss said:

i do believe this is true. maybe some folks out there will make some sort of patch or workaround of this issue because i am sure there are tons and tons of people who have windows xp and then a disk for sp2 or however that works

OP
T

tenbellys

make another copy of your xp disk and slipstream your sp2 into it. there are many a tutorial on the internet to do this, then burn the final image and it installs xp and sp2 at the same time.

OP
M

macymacmac

Actually, looks like this method requires extracting the contents of the sp2 .exe file to slipstream it onto the xp cd... a little difficult to do in os x. I will have to borrow someones pc to give this a go. cheers

OP
T

tenbellys

sorry i forgot to mention that bit, but its only once you need to do it, just save the iso img to a usb hdd or usb pen so you have a backup of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
macymacmac said:
Actually, looks like this method requires extracting the contents of the sp2 .exe file to slipstream it onto the xp cd... a little difficult to do in os x. I will have to borrow someones pc to give this a go. cheers

Just install Parallel's virtualization beta & XP, then make the disc from there in OS X ;) Oh the games we play...

OP
M

mfernandez

Daddy Elmis said:
Going back, did XP without SP2 install and run with Boot Camp?

NO, mine crashed and formated my HD, dont try it!

im going to get a copy of xp, a ligit version and try again with SP2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why are people doing this? The Apple site clearly states that you will need:

A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

I think that makes it pretty clear.

OP
M

macymacmac

i did it without sp2, and xp seemed to install and run fine.... until i tried to install sp2 and the drivers... so yeah, prob don't try it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
that's weird...

Come on, people... read the istructions? This is straight from the printout IN A BLUE BOX!!!

"IMPORTANT: You must use a single-disc, full-install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, or install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it later to SP2."

OP
W

Warden

Yes, slipstreaming works

I'm here to tell you that you CAN build a slipstreamed disk based on an upgrade version of XP, even without SP2. I built one on an Upgrade version of XP Pro SP1, added SP2, added the folders required for the single disk to also have Windows ME on it so the upgrade would work, and even built the Mac Drivers onto the same disk. Downside was that the final image was so large I had to burn it onto a DVD, but that was a minor issue. Had one moment of terror when it appeared the installation wasn't finding my ME files and so wouldn't allow the install to continue, but after telling it to try again, it found them and off we went.

Now I'm running XP Pro SP2 on an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS 24" iMac w/ Intel Core 2 Duo running at 2.33 GHz. This is a KILLER machine. Can't decide, however, if I'm happier with OS/X or XP Pro on this baby... Only time will tell...

Warden

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Proc 2.6GHz
yep...slipstreaming works.

I saw the 24" imac at Fry's the other day...sweet looking machine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
yea i actually installed my XP with my DELL INSTALL DISC. when it needed a CD key i just called Microsoft adn gave them my key and the Ref # that windows put up and he gave me a new key. SO you CAN intall with a factory backup disc. But...as far as WIN UPDATES, you NEED SP2 to install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
macymacmac said:

i used nlite

it made a iso file that was 997mb therefore i used a dvd for the slipstreaming

i had the bugger it didnt work 1st go but after trying again worked fine

to find nlite do a google search for it its too easy with that program

my imac now runs both osx and winxp no problems at all :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
awsome. yea its nice having both OS's on one computer. I have all my dvd editing/recording stuff on winxp since my DVDburner is external and only works in win. so its pretty saweet

Reaction score
I just downloaded XP SP2 for free...

*Waits for mods to look at him*

But that's because i'm part of the MSDN Academic Alliance :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.