web sharing question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Duo mini, Macbook 2.4 Gig
I have no clue on this. Can people access your web sharing web page while the computer is asleep. I have one or two people that would access this page, but during the day it is asleep. Is it accessible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Set the Energy Saver pref pane for Wake on ethernet access.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried that and the page was not accessable

Tried the Energy saving tip, put my mac asleep and tried to access the test website through another machine. Said the connection refused.

That the energy saving box says to wake for administrators. Is a normal web browser going to be an administrator to access while the mac is a sleep.

BTW running a Intel Dual boot Mini, OSX 10.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I guess we've got our answer then,...

Ultimately what is more important to you at this point? Sleep or Web. How about .Mac?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah I get it..

But, you have to wonder what the purpose of that function (creating a website out of our computer), if you can't ever put it to sleep or turn it off.

BTW still on the trial period of .mac and deciding whether it is the way to go. Looking to run a podcast for just a small group of people.

MacsWork said:
I guess we've got our answer then,...

Ultimately what is more important to you at this point? Sleep or Web. How about .Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
cerevisiae said:
But, you have to wonder what the purpose of that function (creating a website out of our computer), if you can't ever put it to sleep or turn it off.
Well, to be honest, personal computers are not really designed or intended to act as full-time web servers. Sure, they can do it, but it doesn't necessarily make them the best option or solution for running a web server. If you want to run it and have your site available for access 24/7, then you must leave your computer up and running 24/7. If you do that, then sure you will have no problems and all is well.
If you don't want to have your computer running all the time, then your best bet would be to find some other hosting service for your site.

Its really just the nature of the technology. :black:

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a cool feature

As a switcher to macs I think the function is cool (shows just how cool macs really are). Just figuring out what I would do with it, or it's limitations. Might be cool if you had to access documents (not confidential ones) during the day while you were away from your computer. I love that you can just check a box and you can put a up a basic website or share files.

It's the whole reason why I switched to mac....

and now people want to dual boot windows? No thanks for me.

D3v1L80Y said:
Well, to be honest, personal computers are not really designed or intended to act as full-time web servers. Sure, they can do it, but it doesn't necessarily make them the best option or solution for running a web server. If you want to run it and have your site available for access 24/7, then you must leave your computer up and running 24/7. If you do that, then sure you will have no problems and all is well.
If you don't want to have your computer running all the time, then your best bet would be to find some other hosting service for your site.

Its really just the nature of the technology. :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.