Mac Mini , Older Mac Pro, or older Imac?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have about $1200 to spend on a computer. I used to own a G5 IMac until it died. I used Logic Express and Garageband for podcasting and hobby level music production.

I am thinking of getting back into both areas and have been looking at a few options.

I feel like the Mini is well within my budget, but would it be worth it to buy a older, refurbished Mac pro or iMac? Some refurb sits have some good deals. I will mainly be doing podcasting and Garageband with maybe a few other audio programs (Logic, Reason, Recycle,).

Any advice would help. My main concern is getting a machine that would last me a good 5 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

For mine looking at the programs you run, I would invest in a 2009/2010 Mac Pro. Looking for refurbed Mac Pros is like looking for hens teeth. They are non existent.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking into some refurbs at macofalltrades.com and other sites. Is that not a good idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The only refurbs come from Apple. The rest are simply second hand. A refurb from Apple comes with a 12 month waranty with the option to increase to 3 years with AppleCare. Ask used dealers what their warranty is as many Mac Pros have had considerable use coming mainly from the graphic/design/print industry background.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense.

I guess I just don't want to fork down over a grand just to need to get another computer in 3 years. I loved my iMac but when the motherboard died there was nothing I could do to. I don't want to go PC- I have a few pc laptops but I learned music recording and podcasting on a Mac and it is just so much easier (for me) to use OS for these applications.

I should probably go into the local Apple store and play around the mac mini and see if it can handle the programs I will be running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch early 2009 iMac, 2.66GHz, 8 GB, 10.8.5, 319 GB Hard Drive
I know many people will likely be opposed to this suggestion, but my last several macs, both desktop and laptops, have been purchased on eBay. I generally spend about $600 and get a computer that lasts for several years. I've done this for family members as well as many friends, and have never had a problem. The one I'm using is a 2009 iMac, and still having no probs. Check out what's for sale there and see if any are what you might need. Make sure you check the sellers feedback rating--100% or nearly is very important. Check out the specifics, especially memory and speed. Also, ask any questions you may have about the computer, and save the answers in case you need to file a 'item not as described' issue with eBay. (I've had to do that a couple times--not with computers though)

Skillet01

Skillet01

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.