Firefox Question From Windows Vet

V

Voix

When starting Firefox on my Macbook Pro, it opens an odd little window, then some sort of virtual drive appears on my desktop, then (what seems ages later) an actual browser window opens.

Can someone explain what all of this is?

TIA

OP
J

Jonster

Have you actually installed Firefox? It sounds like you just keep opening up the .dmg file (like .exe) on windows. What you need to do is open up that "virtual drive" and then click and drag the Firefox icon to your applications folder, which will "install" it to your hard drive.

OP
V

Voix

Boy do I feel green. Much thanks, that did the trick.

I'm one of the many XP users who've installed Boot Camp -- get ready, here we come. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Don't feel too bad. That is a VERY common mistake for new OSX users. When you get used to it, it's so fast and simple. Just remember that DMG's are Disk Images and when you click on them, they mount on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Don't worry, I was a windows vet too and I had the same problem. It took me a while to figure out, but you'll get used to it. It's a LOT faster than Windows, I'll tell ya that much.

Oh, and to remove programs, go to the applications folder and simply move them to the trash. It's that easy!

And, if you're running tiger, do the following: command+alt+control+8. Cool, huh? Now do the same to undo that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
BlindingLights said:
And, if you're running tiger, do the following: command+alt+control+8. Cool, huh? Now do the same to undo that.

That is cool :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
quicksilver said:
That is cool :black:

there are a lot more 'cooler' things that you can do in os x.

i dont really agree with the .exe comparison as stated well above this. exe is a program extension, dmg is a Disk iMaGe wich is a virtual drive which will conain many installation files that you will download in your os x world...basically it is like a little read only hard drive that will mount on your desktop in order to open and read documentation and install files etc.

enjoy and good luck and also feel free to trash your firefox dmg now that your done with it.
-chris

Reaction score
Even a .app in OSX can't be compared to a .exe, a .app has files in it, so it isn't really a file itself, that's why they have to come in .dmgs I'd imagine.

OP
D

dmetzcher

Voix said:
I'm one of the many XP users who've installed Boot Camp -- get ready, here we come. :)
I hope more people go your route. Just curious...how long have you had your new Mac?

OP
V

Voix

I got my Mac this past Saturday. I previously owned a Powerbook 180 which I purchased in 1993, but have been using Windows almost exclusively since about 1997.

OSX and the MacBook Pro are most impressive. The boot time is astonishingly fast. Little details like the fade-in/out effects on the Dashboard and iTunes visualization (and the throbbing light when the lid is down) add up to make something really special. Also -- no stickers on the palm rest!

No BIOS -- goodbye chunky 1980s text on startup. And this feature is being dropped from Vista?

I consider myself a very typical Windows user, using it at work and playing games with it at home. I've been building my own PCs for about seven years now, and if I some day soon can install OSX on a home-built PC, and run my games on it, I'm there.

OP
D

dmetzcher

Voix said:
I consider myself a very typical Windows user, using it at work and playing games with it at home. I've been building my own PCs for about seven years now, and if I some day soon can install OSX on a home-built PC, and run my games on it, I'm there.
Why not install XP on your new MacBook Pro right now using the new Boot Camp from Apple? Then you can run your games on Windows, and do everything else with the Mac OS.

OP
V

Voix

dmetzcher said:
Why not install XP on your new MacBook Pro right now using the new Boot Camp from Apple? Then you can run your games on Windows, and do everything else with the Mac OS.
I did, and while it's pretty awesome, I keep my PC relatively up-to-date with the latest hardware.

Reaction score
Voix, one other thing about installs: Not all use disk images. If the icon inside is of a cube inside a cardboard box, it's a full-fledged package installer. You have to double-click it to load the app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.