Moving Files Between 2010 Mac Pro Firewire and new iMac Gigabit Ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - Retina 5K, 27-inch SSD, 4 GHz i7, 32GB
Hi,

I do my graphics design work at my primary location on my 2010 MacPro and need a new computer to do this work in tandem at a different geographical location. I am considering the iMac for this second computer. The ports are different between these two computers. How will I be able to move my large graphics files (>500MB) between these two computers if my 2010 MacPro uses Firewire 400 and 800 ports and USB2 and the new iMac uses Gigabit Ethernet ports and USB3. I use external drives with Firewire 800 for my backups and storage from my 2010 MacPro. I would like to keep the same external drives using a Firewire connection. Other than buying new drives using USB, is there a connection device to adapt my external drive's Firewire 800 to the new iMac's Gigabit Ethernet?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - Retina 5K, 27-inch SSD, 4 GHz i7, 32GB
Researching further, I found out that I could use one of Apple's Firewire-to-Thunderbolt Connectors to connect my external Firewire 800 drives to a new iMac with Thunderbolt. I guess this my only way to keep and use my Firewire drives between the 2010 MacPro and new iMac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That adapter will work well. I'm using one at the moment for a firewire device. BTW that adapter has a Firewire 800 connector. It can be used with firewire 400 devices by using a firewire 800 to 400 cable. It's available from Belkin and others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.