Free app with basic uses of Photoshop??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Is there a free, simple application that can be used for very basic uses of Photoshop that an average person can access? I'm sick of my of versions of Photoshop being outdated by a new Apple OS. I'm using OS 10.6.8 & now I can't even access iTunes at Apple! That's fine, so I won't spend any more money through Apple iTunes! (Brilliant move Apple)

I asked once before I got a complicated set of multiple actions that I had to do through to get to an app. Is there an app like this I can simply download from some source? I'm retired & I don't want to upgrade my applications to get a new OS that doesn't add anything I want & makes apps I have unusable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure if there is anything currently in the Mac App Store that would work for you. I have Pixelmator which might be something that you can use instead of Photoshop, however, I do not know if it will work with Snow Leopard. Give it a try. It's $29.99 in the Mac App Store and they have a free trial that you can test with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Great Photo Pro is cheap (probably about $10) and has some bits and pieces such as colour splash, frames, collages, text. If you upgraded to El Capitan you would get Photos which is more advanced than iPhotos. Or you could do a one-off purchase of PS Elements.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm not sure if there is anything currently in the Mac App Store that would work for you. I have Pixelmator which might be something that you can use instead of Photoshop, however, I do not know if it will work with Snow Leopard. Give it a try. It's $29.99 in the Mac App Store and they have a free trial that you can test with.

@ Mr. D - you're really limiting yourself by using a much older OS X, but I believe you are already are aware of this issue. You might want to tell us specifically 'what needs' you have for an imaging editing program - I used PhotoShop when working and their was a steep learning curve and I probably did not need 90% of its features.

Preview in OS X probably serves most of my basic needs (cropping, re-sizing, minor color changes, text addition, arrows/shapers, etc.) now in retirement - not sure what it has to offer in an older OS X. Otherwise, I use Pixelmator for more advance needs, but there is a learning curve also - now whether this app will run on your OS X or an earlier version can be installed as suggested above remains a question. Dave :)

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Thanx for your reply Dave! I have not found much problem with OS 10.6.8. except incompatibility with programs I use such as Photoshop 8.0 & a few others. I'm not sure I can upgrade the issue I have of Photoshop 8.0! I agree in that I didn't use most of the Photoshop tools. I like to improve the quality of the picture, sometimes combining elements of different pictures & creating political memes for fun. I don't mind upgrading to a new OS, but every time I do I lose applications! I'll take a look at Preview!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanx for your reply Dave! I have not found much problem with OS 10.6.8. except incompatibility with programs I use such as Photoshop 8.0 & a few others. I'm not sure I can upgrade the issue I have of Photoshop 8.0! I agree in that I didn't use most of the Photoshop tools. I like to improve the quality of the picture, sometimes combining elements of different pictures & creating political memes for fun. I don't mind upgrading to a new OS, but every time I do I lose applications! I'll take a look at Preview!

Hello again - give Preview a try - not sure if your version for 10.6.8 has all of the current features, but as an example of the app in El Capitan, see the image of St. John opened in Preview on my laptop - the 'Tool Box Icon' will open the menu line - from there I have the 'Selection Tool' & the 'Color Adjustments' features opened w/ their drop-down menus; shapes, lines, & arrows (the latter can be adjusted for size & color), text additions, and cropping and resizing are easily done. Now I've not played much w/ the 3 icon selections on the far left but selections can be made and I assume replaced w/ different colors - not sure whether an additional image can be superimposed, like layering w/ the more advanced imaging programs? All the arrowing & labeling was done w/i Preview on that image.

If Preview (or if the earlier version is more limited which I suspect will be true?) does not serve you needs, then give Pixelmator a try - there is a 'free trial' and excellent online tutorials are available, just not sure about compatibility w/ your older OS X? Good luck and please post back - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 12.30.10 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.