Getting iPhone pictures to my Apple Computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Apple has long had a rudimentary app on the mac specifically for importing photos (and videos, if I recall) from various sources. This might include: scanner, digital camera, external hard drive, SD card, select folders (confirm) and of course your iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad.

Locate the program tucked away in your Utilities folder inside the Applications folder inside the Macintosh HD (or left-hand Favorites column in most any finder window)......................

Hello and welcome to the forum - please read my previous post - Dave :)

Reaction score
Yes. I do this every day. I use an app called Instashare. It resides on both your Mac and an IOS app on your iPhone. It is simply brilliant. It is available for IOS, Mac, Android & Windows. Check it out here: instashareapp.com

Regards
Ross

Reaction score
AirDrop function can help with that.
Turn on AirDrop on your Mac and iPhone. Open Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Choose the pictures you need > Tap Share button > Choose your Mac name

Reaction score
Hi there! Kinda read some of the solutions to your issue and I can understand your frustration. I share the same issue. Yea really dislike the iPhoto setup. BUT ... If your iPhone has a LIGHTNING connector you may be in luck. I have found this item called iXpand from San disk which as of recently comes in 16, 32, 64 and 128 GB capacities. Amazon has them for fantastic prices and good warranty too. It has two connectors one lightning and one USB (I believe 2.0). Basically you download the ixpand app, plug this device into ur iphone and choose which pics or all u want to transfer. THATS IT. Unplug from your iPhone then use USB connector to plug into and download to ur MacBook, iMac, Windows pc etc. You can open it like a flash drive from your computer and "click and drag" your pics to whatever folders u create.

I'm new here so hope this helps!!

Reaction score
Also looking for simple ways to transfer Iphone 6 photos to any computer

Agreed. I am also an Apple fan, at least since 2009, and I had most of 2014-2015 pictures on my iphone 6; yet I could not find a simple way to copy them to my Macbook pro 2011. I did not want my photos on the cloud, and Itunes had nothing. The Photo program was no longer available that came with the operating system. My photos are nothing spectacular but I want whatever glimmer of privacy I can hang on to. Due to having no simple way to transfer photos, I bought a point and shoot camera to keep with me (could not be easier to transfer photos to any computer and I have PC also) and I only use the Iphone for photos that I am sending right away or that i will not need to transfer. It's been a disappointing experience, that something so simple could be so complicated.

Thanx for any replies! I'll try some of them!

It sounds like Apple doesn't want us to be able to do something as incredibly simple as to move pictures back & forth without paying for some Apple program. Obviously Apple has purposely made that impossible for profit making since my digital camera pictures show up on my Apple computers with no problem, but not pictures taken with my iPhone! I'm using OS 10.6.8 so I can't access iTunes any more with my iPhone without an upgrade that will cause me to upgrade Photoshop & other programs. I don't want to put things on their damned iCloud either to get pictures to my computer! At the high price of an iPhone & an Apple Computer I should be able to move pictures back & forth easily, but Apple doesn't want that.

I'm likely one of the longest Apple Fan & users around since I started with an Apple II, but I'm getting sick of Apple's recent "Pay for absolutely everything" attitude! Apple has lost its way of creating intuitive software & has become as money grubbing as MicroSoft! I think I've bought my last Apple Product! I'm not leaving Apple! Apple has left me! The position of Apple related to secrecy doesn't help either! I had a relative in the San Bernardino shooting & no company should be able to ignore a "Federal warrant" for information on a terrorist's iPhone!

Reaction score
the easiest way is to use Dropbox. Set your iPhone to back up the camera roll to a folder that I believe Dropbox creates ) called Camera uploads. The iPhone photos move to that folder automatically (movies too) whenever your iPhone is near wifi -- then you can just go into the Dropbox folder on your mac and pull your photos out of the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder. I've been doing this for several years and it works flawlessly.

BTW, the photos will remain on your phone until you physically delete them.

you set this up in the Dropbox settings in your phone - I've been trying to figure out how to add a screenshot for you but it won't seem to work. this is by far the easiest way to transfer photos from your phone to your computer....pretty much automatic. 2016-02-25 21.07.55.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
I use an app already on my MacBook Pro called Image Capture. I plug in my iPhone (as a camera) and just import the photos I want. I can choose where I want them to go - Pictures/iPhone - directory. Then I use Photoshop, if necessary. (I think I remember you have to disable iPhotos from automatically d/l with a check mark on the open screen. It's sticky so you don't have to do it again. )

I've got iPhone 5 updated and MacBookPro with el Capitan. Easy and I keep out of iPhotos. But you could also let them all go into iPhotos then select them all in iPhotos and and export to where ever you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
30" Apple display; Mac Pro 1,1 tower OSX 10.6.8. Mac Pro 1,1 tower OSX 10.11.6, MacBook Pro 6,1 lap
iCloud doesn't archive permanently

Except when I delete a photo from my iPhone, it deletes it from the iCloud. Kinda pointless if I'm wanting to archive images.

Reaction score
Had a similar problem importing pics from my IPhone .A friend suggested using Adobe Bridge and it worked a treat keep up the good work guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
30" Apple display; Mac Pro 1,1 tower OSX 10.6.8. Mac Pro 1,1 tower OSX 10.11.6, MacBook Pro 6,1 lap
Is Image Capture on any previous OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only get 1GB with the free DropBox account though.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes. I think Image Capture and Preview go way back. I'm struggling with my memory here, but I think at least as far back as Snow Leopard (10.6.8), maybe before.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard? Then I'm good. :)

Reaction score
How about one of these pen drives where one end plugs into your iPhone, downloads onto its 8Gb memory and the other end is a USB to load onto your Apple?

Reaction score
I have a PowerBook G4 still, running 10.5.8 . Last year I had the I4 and my computers ITunes would allow it to hook up through iTunes. I now have the I6 and it doesn't allow iTunes hookup.

But, I use the ImageCapture program on the computer to easily download pics from my phone. My computer is probably further back than anyone's here :) and I can get the pics.

I tried accessing my phone pics through Preview and it does work. You have to go to Import, and it picks up my phone images right away. It isn't as simple since you are importing to the program, and then you have to go to the File menu and select 'save as' and where you want them to go. You may have a limitation on how many images you can import into Preview, depending on memory and may have to rename each file (maybe not). But, it's free and already on the operating system even on my old computer.

& edit - I also use Dropbox but if you have an older system then Dropbox on your computer may no longer work automatically with the Dropbox server. You can access Dropbox then through your computer web browser but then things that move automatically like 1Password files won't, and you have to find the way to do that manually. You can upload pics to Dropbox from your phone, just in this case will have to manually download from server to your computer.

Like others said, if you can't email yourself pictures then there's either a setting or something else going on that's interfering rather than an apple design maliciously preventing photo download. Since ImageCapture is free and already part of the OS that would make no sense

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac quad i7 | Yosemite
Thanx, Rad Dave! I'll look into Photosync! I can still use iPhoto to get pictures to my Mac, it's just cumbersome. I seems like earlier OS's used to allow an icon from an iPnone to show on the desktop like digital cameras????

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (ah! I just saw Stillhave2 did mention it), but Image Capture has been part of the operating system for a long time, and when you connect your phone/camera/scanner you have full control over your image downloads to your computer. No "greed" involved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet (ah! I just saw Stillhave2 did mention it), but Image Capture has been part of the operating system for a long time, and when you connect your phone/camera/scanner you have full control over your image downloads to your computer. No "greed" involved.

Check my post #16 - and for many of the recent posters, please read the entire thread, many of the suggestions made have already been mentioned previously and these numerous repetitive posts will simply be confusing to our OP, just saying - Dave :)

Reaction score
Check my post #16 - and for many of the recent posters, please read the entire thread, many of the suggestions made have already been mentioned previously and these numerous repetitive posts will simply be confusing to our OP, just saying - Dave :)

I did read the previous posts Dave and did not see my easy solution using Dropbox mentioned...

Reaction score
Only get 1GB with the free DropBox account though.

yes, but if you set up your dropbox to offload to your computer anytime it has wireless access, then you can remove the photos on your phone and ALSO, move the photos out of dropbox onto your hard drive. I too have the free Dropbox account and I've never had an issue. You just need to be sure to get your phone near your computer once every couple of days and then go to Dropbox on your computer and move the photos from the Camera Upload folder into a folder on your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.