Email addresses require editing

Reaction score
Email addresses on the iPad are numerous, incorrect and a mess. When I start to type an address I may get 20 suggested addresses and 18 are not anyone I have written to in years.

The thought of editing out the "no longer valid" is tiring and would take days to do correctly. Further, to edit, the address does not stay visible when one is deleted, so I have to basically start the email over to get the same array. Is there an easier way to save the ones that matter and discard the junk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Email addresses on the iPad are numerous, incorrect and a mess. When I start to type an address I may get 20 suggested addresses and 18 are not anyone I have written to in years.

The thought of editing out the "no longer valid" is tiring and would take days to do correctly...............

Hi Dave... - you really need to provide much more information to even understand your issues: 1) What model iPad are you using; 2) What iOS is installed; 3) How many email addresses (i.e. yours from your main ISP, web-based addresses, or others) are you using to retrieve your mail; and 4) Are you using iCloud sync of your mail to multiple devices?

To start, you can likely more easily delete these 'old' email addresses from your Contacts app and/or go to your ISP's web-based site and sign-in to delete addresses from there (this will obviously vary depending on 'who' you are using - not evident to me at the moment, sorry?) - so, please provide us w/ some further information to offer a response(s) - Dave :)

Reaction score
Hi,

You can try this method for removing the email addresses

* open a blank email as if you are going to send it to the address that you want to remove

* Type the email address that you want to delete

* A drop down window will appear ( stating recent and you will see the email address there)

* There is a Blue circle with white arrow in it.

* Click it. There is a another drop down which states remove from clients. Click it

* These are the steps to remove the email address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
I am likewise plagued with the problem of an old email address. In some, mysterious circumstances, Mail sends an email both the address I want and to the old, undesired email address. I've tried to remove the old address from Contacts, from Preceding Addresses (my translation from program in Italian) and looking for traces of the old address using Spotlight. All the above are cleaned out, but the problem persists. Removing the iCloud account, then reinstalling it did not help, at least for my iMac 27". On the other hand, changing from an iPad Mini II, where the problem occurred, to a new iPad Pro seemed to eliminate the problem in iPads. Using the method suggested above by Techexpo01 iMail did not show the incriminated address.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@filipeduardovic

On your iMac, a quicker way would be to open Mail > Window > Previous Recipients.

This will open a window with all those who have sent you an email in the past. Although still tedious, it is very much easier and quicker to scroll down the long list, click-to-highlight on any that you don't want; then click on "Remove From List" (bottom left of window).

@davemac

I realise your problem is in relation to your iPad - and this is where your answers to RadDave's questions are important. But if you sync accounts, say via iCloud, with a Mac - then you could follow the same procedure on the Mac, and the changes should pass over to your iPad.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", MacbookPro 17", Sierra on iMac, iPad Pro, cell, iPhone 6
Many thanks Ian -- I tried "previous recipients" looking through every single one, but the undesired email address, eliminated by me a while back, was nowhere to be seen. I'll try the suggestion about eliminating it from the ISP (Vodafone) but I'm not confident that there will be a way to eliminate the culprit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.