2006 MacPro How to Upgrade the Start up Disk?

Reaction score
Hey all he is my sitch and it seems like a common question but I had no luck searching the forum.

I have a 2006 MacPro (just had its 10th birthday party)

It has three 500 gb hard drives that are almost full.

The boot disk has 30 gb available.

I purchased a 4TB WD (same kind as the other 3 just more room) and installed it in the 4th hard drive bay and it works fine.

I want to make the big 4T hard drive the "Start UP Disk" but when I go to Disk utility it says the current 500GB start up disk can't be used as the restore source.

Question is am I missing something here?

So How do you upgrade your start up disk?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What operaing system are you using? Suggest you get Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, put the 4TB drive in Bay four, after booting from boot drive, go to Disk Utility and format the new drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then into Partition > Options and selected GUID format.

Then use the cloning softare clone boot drive to drive in Bay 4, and it will then be bootable. Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select the 4TB disk and click restart. If all goes well, shut down, and place the 4TB drive in Bay One, and the original boot drive in Bay 4. Go into System Preferences and make sure the 4TB is still selected as the startup disk and violá you are finished.

OP
E
Reaction score
Im maxed out at Lion 10.7.5 but I think there is a work around for that upgrade. It works fine for my needs though. One question is it necessary to change boot the hard drive to bay 1 ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No not strictly necessary but I like to do that. As long as you have selected it as the drive to boot from in System Preferences > Startup Disk all will be well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.