Got my first Mac- an iMac G3! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
Hey everybody- I've got my first Mac!!!

Somebody locally was selling it for £10- A Grape iMac G3 400MHz, 64MB RAM, 10GB HDD, slot load DVD drive, 2 firewire ports, original keyboard and round mouse. It's running OS 9.0.3.
I'm not too sure what revision it is (although I'm guessing its a DV).

Now, I need to get it sorted for installing OS X, from the advice I have been given, 10.3 (Panther) works well on these? I have a friend who's upgraded to Tiger on his Powerbook and will probably give me the install disc for free.

I plan to upgrade the RAM and Hard drive pretty soon. It's pretty easy to access the RAM, it currently has a single 64mb stick in. Would an additional 256mb stick be ok? What type would I need (and does anybody have any good links to cheap RAM in the UK?)

The hard drive is pretty noisy, and will be replaced with a larger one before installing OSX. But do I need to have the 8GB primary partition on it?

Currently I am just running iTunes 2 and playing a bit of music from my USB ext HDD (the speakers don't sound that bad- are they the Harmon Kardons?)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Thats a great price! I would go for 10.3 or 10.2 on the iMac. You should upgrade to ram to 256 or more. I cant answer any more of your questions because i dont know, sorry...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking at the Lowendmac site, I think its the 1999 iMac DV, because it has the DVD ROM as opposed to the CD-ROM in the 2000 version. Also, the 2000 version has the Pro mouse and keyboard, I;ve got the round 'hockey puck' mouse and smaller 'grape' keyboard.
http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/dv.shtml

I think the main issue is upgrading the hard drive, which looks to be a big job, especially with the CRT.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Opps, I don't know how I copied the wrong URL. Yours what I was going to send you! Glad you found it.

Reaction score
I work for my high school in the tech dept. when I'm on vacation from college... anyway, we have a few iMac DVs that we put OS 10.3 on, and it runs pretty well. We had to do a firmware upgrade on them, though. I only did so because my boss told me to... I'm not sure what happens if you don't, or if it even lets you install OSX.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I have no idea. Panther runs fine with 256, not sure what type of RAM it is, though. We wiped them and cloned them with NetRestore.

B

Badger

Here's a link to a complete walk-through of changing the HD in these models: http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=436. All of the later iMacs came with HDs bigger than 8gbs. Since your HD (the original) is 10gb you won't have a problem with that. I ran 10.3 (Panther) on a 333 mh iMac with no problems but I maxed out the RAM. All versions of X are RAM hungry. You could go with 256 mbs but I would go with at least 512. The only warning is to be sure that you've upgraded the firmware before you put any OS X disc in it. If not you'll screw up the video and give yourself a major job fixing it. Yes, they are HK speakers.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need some more information regarding the firmware update.

The iMac (DV 400MHz Grape with slot load DVD) is currently running OS 9.0.3. It is not connected to the internet yet, but my Windows laptop is, and I have an external 20GB hard drive (USB, formatted to FAT32) which I can use to transfer data.

So basically, what firmware updates will I need for OS X (either Panther or Tiger) and how do I install them? I am aware that doing it incorrectly can kill the iMac.

Thanks in advance.

B

Badger

You can check the installed firmware in the Apple System Profiler, under "system profile>production information." This Apple page has links to the firmware versions downloads: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75130. The version you'll want is 4.1.9; click on the readme icon to get the installation steps. You need to have at least OS 9.1 to run the firmware updater so here's the 9x updates page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75288. If you want to run classic under X you should take the system to 9.2.2.
Apple keeps an iMac G3 support section active. It's a good page to bookmark: http://www.apple.com/support/imac/g3/. If I remember correctly you can download the various archives to the pc and then copy them (via the external disk) to the mac. Only after they are on the mac do you open them.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, it's updated to OS9.1, and firmware 4.1.9.
Now, to get a new hard drive and more RAM, and get hold of OS X (most likely Tiger).

When I install the new hard drive, it will be empty. Do I just install the OS X disc and it will simply format and install?

B

Badger

Sounds like you are good to go. So... Once you have the old HD out match the jumpers on the new HD to the old one. This is usually cable-select. When the new HD is installed you can boot from the OS X installer disc. Most new HDs come formated for Windows. When you boot with the X install disc early in the install procedure it will give the option to format the new disk. When you do this take the step to install the OS 9 drivers as well. That way you can also boot from OS 9 as well as X. (Even if you don't plan to install OS 9 this is a good step to do now.)

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got a 128mb ram stick cheaply and currently have a total of 192mb, which I was planning on running with a for a while. (I have still got to get a HDD and OS X install CDs.)

However, somebody I was talking to was saying 10.4 Tiger wouldn't install unless I had 256mb of RAM.

Is this true, or will it install and run fine until I can upgrade more?
And how much RAM does 10.3 Panther need?

Thanks.

L

lil

Tiger will plod by on 256MB.

You will really need a minimum of 512MB on that iMac G3 to make up for speed lost in other departments.

Panther will live nicely enough in 256MB, but an upgrade to 512MB shouldn't be shyed away from if possible—as I am sure you will want to run more and more apps on it over time.

Vicky

B

Badger

There is a lot of stuff in Tiger that is eye-candy and some features that need newer machines to work. Also, as lil says, Panther requires less RAM. IMO: Overall, Panther will be a more satisfactory choice.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'm going to be keeping an eye on eBay for a 512mb stick of ram. So will any PC100 or PC133 SDRAM stick work?

I have an 80GB hard drive coming next Tuesday, and my friend who upgraded to Tiger is going to give me his Panther install discs.

He tells me that it says Powerbook on the installer DVD, but he believes it will work because he hasn't actually got it installed on his PB. Will this be OK to install on my iMac?

Thanks again!

L

lil

Memory: check the specs from the iMac G3s manual (if you need one—www.apple.com) or check out the memory supplier sites such as www.crucial.com to see what memory they list as compatible.

RE: PBG G4 Restore DVDs w/Panther: It will probably stop you from installing Panther :(

There is a way around though and it needs two Macs and I think it breaks the terms of license.

Target Disk mode....

Ahem. But you're better off heading to www.applerescue.com

Vicky

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finally, my iMac is all sorted and ready to use!!!

I had my RAM delivered last week- 640mb total (512mb + 128mb PC133) which worked fine.
My hard drive arrived this morning (80GB 7200rpm Seagate), I managed to install it with no problems (shame the iMac only has a single drive bay).

My friend gave me his OS X Panther install DVDs (he upgraded to Tiger, so Panther wasn't installed or being used) and even though they say PowerBook G4 15-inch and 17-inch on it, it installed fine. I only needed the first disc, the second is for restoring the PB.

Currently running OS 10.3.3, but will be running a software update in a bit after I have got an ethernet cable running from my router to the iMac. An Airport card is pretty expensive (£80+), so I'll probably stick to wired.

I'm just checking through the system preferences at the moment. Got my data copying from my firewire drive, which looks like it'll take a while (about 50GB of stuff!). Then to install my printer and change my iPod to Mac format, then look for alternate software to what I use in Windows.

OS X looks quite good, I'm just getting used to the navigations and menus. It seems much nicer to use than XP and it certainly feels faster than running on a 400MHz G3 machine! :)

L

lil

Excellent :flower: Glad it all worked; you have a decent iMac G3 there now.

You can get USB wireless keys such as the DLink DWL-122 and Netgear MA111 rev. 1 are compatible. I think www.xlr8yourmac.com has a list of Mac compatible USB WiFi keys.

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.