Mac Book Pro OS-X repair

Reaction score
My 2009 MacBook Pro was working fine but shut down spontaneously today. I attempted several times to reboot but the system would not complete before shutting down. I used the command R after the apple log appeared to determine if a repair could be made internally, but a message indicated a "sibling link" problem. I plan to visit the Genius Bar tomorrow at the local Apple store but thought to check in here first for any further suggestions.
Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular error is indicative of a defective hard drive. Hopefully you have been making backups?

Added edit: Do not double post. Your duplicate has been removed.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
2009 MacBook Pro

That particular error is indicative of a defective hard drive. Hopefully you have been making backups?

Added edit: Do not double post. Your duplicate has been removed.

Thanks for your reply. It was a good run for the now almost seven year old laptop - any thoughts for a comparable good replacement under $1300? I don't need a lot of storage.

M

MacInWin

If you liked it, and if it was running well except for the drive, it would be a lot less expensive to replace the dead drive with an SSD. You'll see a huge improvement in speed.

OP
H
Reaction score
If you liked it, and if it was running well except for the drive, it would be a lot less expensive to replace the dead drive with an SSD. You'll see a huge improvement in speed.

Thanks for the very helpful advice! My lack of knowledge would not have considered this option - good to know!! -Holly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.