A Jargon Buster

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As I follow many threads and post to a few, I commonly come across OPs who are unfamiliar with acronyms or abbreviations that many of us take for granted: DU; BU; UI; CCC; SD; TM; RAM; SSD; HDD; EHD; AS; QT; BT; MA; AM; as simple examples.

And then there is the common misunderstanding between Storage and Memory.

My suggestion is: could we construct a "Jargon Buster" sticky or somesuch to which we could direct our members and visitors?

The alternative is that we ask our regular contributors to spell each usage in full the first time with the abbreviation or acronym in parenthesis - for example "open disk utility (DU)"; or you could swap out your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) for a Solid State Drive (SSD). Then use the abbreviation in all further occasions and, indeed, in all further postings within that thread.

Do you think this is a feasible and practical suggestion?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Sounds good to me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I like the idea of elaborating and educating on differences between storage and memory and so on, but I've generally found that most people use the familiar acronyms most of the time and the ones that do shorten something that shouldn't be, a quick query sorts that out.

For example, I would never shorten Disk Utility to DU, but HDD and SSD and WiFi and RAM are all very familiar acronyms even to the most technically challenged in that they can identify what each of things do without a great amount of effort.

So, if we were to create a jargon buster, it might cause more confusion or undue reliance on how we (the collective, forum "we") jargon'ize something as opposed to someone else..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As I follow many threads and post to a few, I commonly come across OPs who are unfamiliar with acronyms or abbreviations that many of us take for granted: DU; BU; UI; CCC; SD; TM; RAM; SSD; HDD; EHD; AS; QT; BT; MA; AM; as simple examples.

And then there is the common misunderstanding between Storage and Memory.

My suggestion is: could we construct a "Jargon Buster" sticky or somesuch to which we could direct our members and visitors?

The alternative is that we ask our regular contributors to spell each usage in full the first time with the abbreviation or acronym in parenthesis - for example "open disk utility (DU)"; or you could swap out your Hard Disk Drive (HDD) for a Solid State Drive (SSD). Then use the abbreviation in all further occasions and, indeed, in all further postings within that thread.

Do you think this is a feasible and practical suggestion?

Ian

How about this Ian? IT Terminology Dictionary

By the way, there are others we could link to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stickies are great .. for as long as they remain highly visible. E.G. (for example lol) take vansmith's outstanding sticky on Writing a Quality Post. Alas sunk to the bottom of the pond and stuck there in the mire.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think you're on to a nice idea but one thing I've found, as I imagine other staff members have as well, is that sometimes guides and stickies are ignored. Often times, users just post a question and sit on that thread which isn't a problem in and of itself but it does signal a larger disregard for available information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Yup, you can lead a poster to an article, but you can't make them read it. I love stuff like that. Never to old to learn and I like to learn something new each day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.