Apple Store - Genius Bar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
Hello,

I'm 100 miles away from the closest Apple Store, so I don't get there very much.

I did happen to be there over the weekend and enjoyed my time there, as it was my first visit to one since owning a Mac!

Can someone please explain the "genius bar" and how it works? Is this simply where you take a sick Mac to be fixed, or can I simply saddle up to this "bar" for some friendly Mac chat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
The Genus Bar is where you bring you "sick" mac to be fixed, but if you go when there aren't a lot of people in the store (weekdays at lunch time) you will most likely be able to sit down and have a chat with a "Genus"

--Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I have only had good experiences at Apple's stores.

When I brought my 1.33ghz Powerbook G4 in with a broken key they fixed it for free. It was as good as new and I was very happy. I still can't forgive myself for selling it for a dell which was then previously sold so I could get this imac I'm using now >.< ... The imac has been great though. No plans to sell this computer for awhile ^.^.... But yea, the genious bar is an excellent idea and I've been to two of them in different stores and both provided great service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
At an Apple Store, the 'Geniuses' are sort of like 'doctors' for your 'sick Mac'. They're free of charge, but you'll probably have to make a reservation (there are usually only 2 guys at the Genius Bar itself, and while a clerk may be able to answer your simple questions, the Geniuses are best suited for complex issues). They can help you figure out issues.

If you pay $99, you can get an Apple ProCare card, which allows you to reserve time with a Genius up to a week in advance, and will allow you to also have them teach you how to work with software you may be unfamiliar with but would like to learn (for instance, I did this with GarageBand and learned a lot from the experience).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Three words: Genius Bar OWNZ!

They're really helpful and more or less solve anything you've got wrong... that is, if you ever have a problem. I've been running smooth on my iMac for two months, I'm not sure I'll ever need the protection plan I bought...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.