Deleting an email account

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondered if someone could help me with something that is probably really obvious.

I want to delete entirely a .mac email address. By this I mean I want the account to no longer exist, so that if someone emails it they will get a reply saying something along the lines of "email address does not exist"

I'm trying to do this but I seem to be able to do so far is to delete that Account from various devices but not getting rid of it altogether.

The email address is linked to an iCloud account, along with 2 other email addresses. Would I have to delete the whole account, or can I just erase the email address

Many thanks for any help,

Rob

OP
R
Reaction score
It's a primary email address with a few aliases attached.

I'll continue to read around via the page you sent.

Thanks for the help

M

MacInWin

Yeah, that you cannot do unless you delete the whole AppleID, as far as I can figure out. You could go to iCloud.com/mail and write a rule to dump them all in the trash, but that won't send back the message you wanted to. And you probably can't "fake" the true message that would be sent if the account really were deleted. I have one iCloud.com address that got into the hands of spammers and all it gets is spam, spam, spam. Apple can't/won't help, saying the address is part of the iCloud account, they can't do anything but delete the entire account and I'll have to get a new one and repurchase the software for that account, blah, blah, blah. So I wrote a rule to dump it all in the trash, and if I miss an email from Apple, oh, well, I'll live with it.

OP
R
Reaction score
I spoke to apple support yesterday and they said there wasn't anyway that an Apple ID account can be deleted, which seems stupid to me.

They advised to stop using my current account and simply set up a new one.

Great:Not-Amused:

M

MacInWin

Yep, that's what they told me, too. Which is why I wrote the rule to just dump it all in the trash. Seems to be working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.