Problems printing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't think that what you were told is accurate but can't test it at the moment because both machines are on the same OS. I think it would work because both OS versions support print sharing. Here's what I don't know, and it might be the fly in the ointment, do both have to have a printer driver installed or does it only have to be on your old iMac?

Very good question Slydude and I believe that's how it used to work, and all computers needed the compatible driver to work. At least with networked and USB connected printer.

But here's a new head scratcher I encountered when setting up our now Canon MG5620 AIO last year via wireless only and it still is.

I read that the print drivers were already in the printer and wondered how that would work, so when the wifi setup was complete, I tried printing from our networked computers and iDevices, OS X .6.8 SL, OS X .9.5 Mav'ck and iOS 7.x, and damned if the print jobs didn't work.

A few days later Apple's Software Update said canon printing "something update" was available and it goofed up the previous "drivers" and I had a heck of a time getting things back to where they were and still are. The Canon still has two starter cartridges left that are just about empty.
This is the software bundle that ended up on my iMac w/ 10.9.5 using the wifi setup via the printer panel and my iMac's Safari browser. All quite different from what I've been used to, and the same thing happened with two other users who got the same printer and wanted help getting it setup.

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 11.24.06 AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All Canon printers should first be "shot out of a cannon" to make them work. As you can see, Canon printers are not high on my list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.