Prepare 2006 iMac for sale

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac mid 2011, 2.5 Intel Core i5 duo, 12GB Memory graphics card 512mb
My iMac 2.16 core duo, 3gb mem, 1 TB h/drive. running 10.6.8 which I think is s/leopard for which I have the disc. Came with 'Tiger' for which I don't have the disc.
I love my old iMac but have gone up to 2012 iMac. I want to give the old iMac to my son, who wants it for his college work using Word, photos and some internet work, which it does very well. Right ! How do I wipe off my history, information, passwords (although I do trust him), etc and leave him with a basic Snow Leopard so that Word and Photos etc can be reinstalled. All my 'stuff' has been copied onto my new iMac so nothing needs to be cloned.
Thank you
Brian;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Reinstall Snow Leopard. You have the disk. BUT before you do that read the link below that gives you step by step intructions of what you need to do. I can tell you the number of posts I have seen where the person buys a used mac that is still attached to someone else's Apple ID and all the trouble it causes.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My iMac 2.16 core duo, 3gb mem, 1 TB h/drive. running 10.6.8 which I think is s/leopard for which I have the disc. Came with 'Tiger' for which I don't have the disc.
I love my old iMac but have gone up to 2012 iMac. I want to give the old iMac to my son, who wants it for his college work using Word, photos and some internet work, which it does very well. Right !.......................

Hi Brian - Lisa has already given you excellent advice along w/ a link to answer the last portion of your post (which I did not include above).

But, I was curious about the word I put in bold, i.e. are you asking us to agree w/ you that this museum piece is really an appropriate computer for a present day college student? In checking EveryMac, I found the computer in the first image below (screen size may not match - there were 3 options), plus appears that you have upgraded the RAM to 3 GB and likely added a larger HD - if the latter, how old is that HD? These mechanical drives do well for 3-5 years but failures then become much more frequent. If you son does take this computer to school, make sure he has a redundant backup plan for his work.

However, my main reason for responding is to suggest that he really needs a much more modern computer, even used ones at half that vintage age are available at reasonable prices. Plus, would a laptop be a better option if he needs a computer in class? What software will he have to use and will it be compatible w/ an ancient OS X? And modern networking and internet use are going to be much better and more efficiently done w/ a more up to date machine - just saying. Dave :)

P.S. OH, in that link below the first image were some links about buying and selling that particular model shown - the second pic is from one of those 'sell' links FYI.

Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 1.29.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-02-03 at 1.35.50 PM.png

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave and thank you for your input. Had the word RIGHT been a question I would have put a question mark after it but as it is being used as an exclamation preceding a statement, I put an exclamation mark after it. Additionally, I didn't need advice on its suitability for its purpose nor did I need your opinion that it is a museum piece. There are very many of these 'museum pieces' still being used around the world and doing a very good job. The links look good although, as I said, I am giving it away. Oh, the 1TB H/drive is 2 years old.
Thanks again for your interest and suggestions.
Regards
Brian

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Lisa Great help once again. Thank you. I assume that deauthorising on my old iMac would involve getting that machine on line wouldn't it? If so then I would need to use my password to get into iTunes (for instance) then deauthorise it - wouldn't that deauthorise my iTune account ?
Anyoldsomehow, I shal have a look and see what happens. Thanks again for the help.
Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You can to go online to de-authorize your old iMac but it would not de-authorize your account for any other mac you may have. All you are doing is in effect disconnecting the old iMac from your accounts so he can set it up under his own apple id so he can get updates and add his own iTunes and a get access to his music if he has any. I think you can do it without using the old iMac to go online though. Check this link out: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204385

Lisa

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa. Great advice yet again. I will use my new iMac and do as it says in the link you so kindly provided.
Thanks again Lisa
Best wishes
Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.