Duel monitors, which adapter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
I've got a 2010 iMac, which I want set up with a linked monitor for multitasking purposes.

I suppose my first question is: can my 2010 model support that?

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.54f36
Serial Number (system): W80133A75PJ
Hardware UUID: BB9C0B04-5646-5E32-AD2D-53F6CDE3C9CD

My second question is, what adapter do I use if possible? I have a "Mini Displayport" to HDMI-female lying around, but it doesn't fit the socket. I'm wondering that since my iMac is relatively old when it comes to tech that maybe it takes something different? I tried searching ebay and apparently there are two different port types, but according to the diagrams provided, it looks like I've got the correct adapter even though I clearly don't, unless I've got a faulty port.

Many thanks,

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
Solved.

Someone mentioned in an old thread that their port was misaligned. So I checked mine with a magnifying glass and yep, so was mine. Had to force it in at an angle and use the connecter itself to actually leverage the port up. It took an incredible amount of force to push this **** thing in, so much I thought I was going to break it. But it's working!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2009 MacBook, 2.0GHz C2D, 750GB HD, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.11.2
Solved.

Someone mentioned in an old thread that their port was misaligned. So I checked mine with a magnifying glass and yep, so was mine. Had to force it in at an angle and use the connecter itself to actually leverage the port up. It took an incredible amount of force to push this **** thing in, so much I thought I was going to break it. But it's working!

Glad you were able to fix it. I was going to say that I'm pretty sure yours does use a Mini DP connector. I don't think any Intel iMacs use the other one (which is called Mini DVI)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.