OSX: Peer-to-Peer & Print Sharing (Mac newbie)

Reaction score
Just made the switch from PC to Mac. Long, long time Win user. I had a p-p network in the house amongst 3 XP machines on an 802.11b network so I could share files and printers.

Now have an iBook G4 and an Intel iMac. The iBook is the "upstairs" machine and has the Canon i860 connected to it.

I cannot get the iMac downstairs to see the printer upstairs. I've done the "share printer" selection on both machines, the printer works fine on the iBook to which is it connected. I couldn't find anything in the way of a wizard or tutorial on the subject (a la XP's home network assistant), but I'm sure this is easier than I'm making it.

Any help appreciated. Oh, BTW, I do intend to upgrade to a "g" system and use a wireless printer interface eventually -- but in the short run I've got what I've got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with 1GB ram
Hey there,
Im new to macs and such and i was having problems with my Printer. I'll explain what i did and hopefully you'll be able to make sense of it for yourself. Might be wrong but hey hopefully it'll help.

On your iMac click on system pref > printer > add
Choose ILP (think its that), enter your computers IP address (eg.192.168.2.???)
Location, enter what every you like.
Printer Que, enter the name it comes under on your comp. (confused? erm what i mean is, the printer on my server is connected using USB, its name is 'usbprinter', so add that name into the printer que).

Select the model of your printer.
Hopefully that will sort it, all being well. Might be something of complete no use to you, hopefully it is.

Andy

OP
Daddy Elmis
Reaction score
Thanks. Is your printer connected to a print server on your network? Mine is connected via USB to the iBook (that is, it is a local printer of the iBook). I'm exploring getting a network print server, but I'm not keen on dropping another $80-100 to solve this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you installed the Cannon print drivers on the machine downstairs? I have my HP printer hooked up to an AP express but had to load the drivers on all the machines before they each could access the printer.

OP
Daddy Elmis
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh -- hadn't considered loading the driver downstairs. Will give that a go tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with 1GB ram
Daddy Elmis said:
Thanks. Is your printer connected to a print server on your network? Mine is connected via USB to the iBook (that is, it is a local printer of the iBook). I'm exploring getting a network print server, but I'm not keen on dropping another $80-100 to solve this problem.

Yeah it sure is, have alook into a 'NAS'.
Sorry i was not much help, the driver idea sounds right though =D

Andy

OP
Daddy Elmis
Reaction score
installing the Canon driver downstairs was the solution. prints perfectly now. May yet go with a wireless print server because the upstairs machine is an iBook that, obviously, may not always be connected to the printer.

Thanks all.

Greg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Glad that worked out for ya!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.