Attempts to Upgrade the hard drive in the new Imacs??

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to upgrade the hard drive in the intel based imac? I know it's not a simple process, or recommended for that matter.

Just curious if anyone has attempted it or not. If so, any issues?

Regards,

Vake J

Reaction score
I think that it's a very difficult process, and from what I've heard, it's the hardest thing average techs have had to do for upgrading. That being said, I believe certified Apple techs can upgrade a hard drive no sweat at CompUSA for $30

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I haven't, but I've read about others who have (like putting a Raptor in there). Basically they had to disassemble everything to get to it. If CompUSA can do it for $30, buy the drive and take it to them, unless you're really set on potentially voiding your warranty and also screwing something up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
thadoggfather said:
I think that it's a very difficult process, and from what I've heard, it's the hardest thing average techs have had to do for upgrading. That being said, I believe certified Apple techs can upgrade a hard drive no sweat at CompUSA for $30

I think this is for the pre-iSight iMacs. The iMac with integrated iSight (PPC and Intel) is a real PITA to take apart. If the do it for $30, they loose money, as it is not done in a few minutes (like it was on pre-iSight models).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yup they arent easy to get into so get someone qualified to do so

Reaction score
Hmmm yeah they just told me iMacs over the phone, so this may be the case.

Go external if it's too much of a hassle/risk

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.