External Hard Drive Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3
Newbie to EHD/Time Machine question- I like to do a restart on my MBP about once a week. I don't know if I need to eject the external hard drive before I do that or not. I have researched the question and see nothing. I do know that I need to make sure Time Machine is not doing a backup at the time I do the restart but was just not sure what to do about the EHD. The EHD is a WD My Book so is connected to my MBP by USB and the WD is connected to AC plug. TIA

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Newbie to EHD/Time Machine question- I like to do a restart on my MBP about once a week. I don't know if I need to eject the external hard drive before I do that or not. I have researched the question and see nothing.

Well…we did cover a lot of external hard drive & Time Capsule stuff in this thread…and pretty throughly I might say!!!;):

http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-operating-system/331544-energy-saving-settings-time-machine.html

But to specifically answer the question above. No…you don't need to eject or unplug the external hard drive if only rebooting the computer.

- Nick

OP
MacWannabeNTX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 9.7" IOS 10.2.1, 2015 MBP 16gb 1tb OSX 10.12.3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.