Need speaker opinions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hi guys & gals!

I'm currently ditching my old (broken) Technics amp & crap speakers for a new music setup.
Since I only ever listen to my iPod / iBook I figure an active 2.1. speaker system is the way to go.

Since this will be my only stereo system I'm willing to spend a bit on it - I don't need/want/have room for surround sound!

Right now I'm considering:
-Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II (about 140€)
-Bose Companion 3 (can get these for roughly 200€ new)
-Acoustic Energy Aego M
-or good cheap active studio monitors

Rejected:
-Logitech Z 2300 (sent these back: the mids are really lacking to my ears. Nice & detailed - but just no soul to them somehow...)
-Klipsch Promedia (can't find them easily in Germany)

Budget: 100-200€
Please help me decide! I don't want to have to send another system back...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I feel the same way as you do about those Logitechs. They are good speakers for the cost and computer type speakers, but they lack Mids. No life.

Too bad you can't find the Klipsch as for computer speakers they sound real good. Studio Monitors with a separate Amp is the real way to go for accurate music if you can afford it though.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
I feel the same way as you do about those Logitechs. They are good speakers for the cost and computer type speakers, but they lack Mids. No life.

Too bad you can't find the Klipsch as for computer speakers they sound real good. Studio Monitors with a separate Amp is the real way to go for accurate music if you can afford it though.

Hmmm, I actually found a dealer that has the "Klipsch Promedia GMX 2.1" for around €200,-

Are those the Klipsch you would recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, you already know my suggestion:
Get the Soundsticks! :cool:

Though I was told the Bose Companion 3 sound good too, but I never heard them myself.

But if you can get the Klipsch, they are the best choice, I would say.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes those are the ones I own, the 2.1 Promedias. I would suggest though if you could, go take a listen to them. Speakers are a very subjective thing. For computer speakers though I and many others really like the Klipsch. One reason I like them over the Logitechs is most Lotitechs do not have a Tweeter. I really do not like one driver covering the whole range between 100HZ say and 20Khz. I have a pair of Logitechs like that and the Midrange sounds so sucked out. Give them a listen first though if that is an option.

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input guys...
Avalon: Yeah, I remember favoring JBL's entourage over the Soundsticks in a discussion with you: I still like the sound, but after hearing them again with my own music I couldn't say which I prefer the HarmonK's or the JBL's - but the point is moot since the encounter's are just too fugly. (IMO - though I'm sure they might look cool in certain setups!)

dtravis7: Klipsch seem to have two 2.1. promedia's:
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=924
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=923

Which are the ones you like? In germany if you order online the dealer MUST give you a 14 day return option, so I could order & audition these and send them back if necessary.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your First URL is the set I have. I forgot about those other ones. Interesting looking but I have never seen nor heard them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I have some Altec Lansing XT1 laptop speakers and they are wonderful, so I wouldnt rule out Altec Lansing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
I like the Harman/Kardon speakers, I have some, not the soundsticks, and their great. good quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
I would steer well clear of Altec Lansings 2.1 offerings(BUZZING SUBWOOFER)
The Bose companions, to be honest, are a total let-down, the Acoustic energy sound great, but neither of these are in the same league as the Harman Kardons, if your worried about power, relax, Harman Kardans amps are always very under rated.

GO WITH THE SOUND STICKS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe
I'd go w/Bose

I've had Companion 2 for a year now and just love 'em!!! :p

The simplicity, the design and, of course, the QUALITY

Cost more, but....

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I have the JBL Creature II setup. Great sound throughout the range and nothing to complain about. I recommend them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.