iphone will not play music through aux cable

Reaction score
iphone 6 plus
ios 9.2

Out of the blue yesterday my phone decided to refuse to play music through my aux cable but if I plug in my headphones the music plays fine through them.
Its not the cable as I connected another iphone to it and it played ok.I have also tried other aux cables and non work. For some reason my phone differenciates between an aux cable and ear phones!!!
anyone any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
No help, but I find cables (even proper Apple ones) temperamental. Try it the other way up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Are the ear phones the ones apple provides with the iPhone? Your iPhone may be being picky. Or is there any chance the ear phones are able to seat all the way but the aux cables can't due to a case being in the way. That happened to me and I had to get a skinnier aux cable.

Just a thought.

Lisa

C

chas_m

Lisa may be on to something -- try again with the iPhone's case (if you use one) off.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies people.

I tested by turning the cable the opposite way but that makes no difference.

The earphones I tried that worked were not apple ones, I have tried removing the case and testing but again no joy.

I have now tried three different aux cables and non work, but they all work fine with a different iPhone!

I don't know what changed! I unplugged it after use then next time I plugged it in it had stopped working.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Why not try the time-honoured standby of doing a hard reboot of your iPhone? You never know.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just to update this thread, I finally got an aux cable that would work. I looked at the difference between my ear phones that worked and the aux cables i had tried already
and the only difference was the ear phones were the type equipped with a mic. So I purchased an aux cable which is designed for beats head phones with a mic !! it worked!!
Don't know why but it will do as a work around. Pic below:-

download.jpeg

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just to update this thread, I finally got an aux cable that would work. I looked at the difference between my ear phones that worked and the aux cables i had tried already
and the only difference was the ear phones were the type equipped with a mic. So I purchased an aux cable which is designed for beats head phones with a mic !! it worked!!
Don't know why but it will do as a work around. Pic below:-

View attachment 23779

How do I install headphones? I tried installing them from a website called Amazon but it didn't even give me a download file and took my money! Please help!

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure what you are asking!! and not sure if your asking it on a relevant thread!!
try and give a little more detail

Dave

Reaction score
I was wondering if you can download an AUX cable or Headphones / earbuds from the internet?

OP
D
Reaction score
You can buy aux cables, headphones or earbuds from the internet, in fact you can buy practically anything from the internet.
Where in the world are you from i'm wondering if English isn't your first language as download is probably not the word your looking for!

Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Hubert110

A warm welcome to the Forums.

DaveLat's problem was all to do with an intermittent fault in hearing music and this related to a faulty cable. He has since purchased a new cable, shown in his photo above.

If you are looking for a cable or earphones or ear buds, these are all physical things which need to be purchased either from a shop or from an internet site, such as Amazon.

You don't "install" headphones. You buy them and either connect them to your device via a cable which is supplied as part of the headphone; OR you buy Bluetooth headphones which you then pair with your device, assuming your device supports Bluetooth.

Hope this helps you out.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was wondering if you can download an AUX cable or Headphones / earbuds from the internet?

Well, when I saw the post above yesterday, I downloaded the pic below but hesitated to post - wanted to see 'how far' this apparent farce would be carried, but our poster has been banned, so I'm assuming that the mods had enough of these rather silly questions - but provided some chuckles to me - NOW, I may be totally 'off base' and if so my sincerest apologies - Dave ;)
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 2.21.18 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We (the Staff) do not discuss why a member has been banned. But let's just say after reading post #11 there was never any doubt in our minds what the OP was about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.