Replacing a Power Mac G4 DVD-Ram drive.

Reaction score
I just got a Power Mac G4 from a friend and the included DVD-Ram drive does not function, it makes weird noises like the cd/dvd is hitting the inside of the metal case. Therefore I would like to replace it. My question is:
Can I replace this mac DVD-Ram drive with any internal DVD or CD drive that uses the molex power supply and SCSI Cable? Or do I need to replace it with the same drive?
I have a few DVD drives laying around my work place that would let me have some. I just want to make sure it works before I get one.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes it is a snack and if there is a Pioneer amongst the DVD's grab it. Even better if there is a DL (dual layer) drive amongst them.. Whilst you have not shared with us what model G4, there are dozens actually, have a read of this to get you started:-

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling+Power+Mac+G4+M5183+DVD-ROM+Drive/2156

Would also suggest you make absolutely sure what DVD is installed as it probably is a DVD+/- RW and actually not a DVD-RAM which is usually found in recorders connected to your TV.

http://www.videomaker.com/article/f6/9716-dvr-r-dvdr-dvd-ram-whats-the-difference.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can we have some specs on that power mac G4? I take it that it's a Tower? Is it blue or Gray? All the G4 tower macs I worked with had a IDE and not SCSI optical drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
ATA/IDE DVD-RAM drives were an option in the earlier Power Mac G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't know about the UK Steve but the DVD-RAM were that scarce Down Under yet to see one. Were they a special order as RAM discs were pretty pricey for my DVD-RAM recorder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.