help me choose a new ipod

Reaction score
Hey all,

Okay my shuffle has kicked the bucket, won't mount but still plays, it's just over a year old so time for an upgrade.

I used the shuffle almost everyday, firstly during my pre-dawn cycling ride, then on my commute. Sometimes I use it to transfer files from work to home and back again, so it's used for music/podcasts and data.

I don't think I want another shuffle after this one died so I'm looking at a Nano. Considering they're flash-based as well will it last longer or almost the same amount of time? How do people feel about the build quality?

I'm also thinking of the video ipod mostly because for a couple of hundred bucks more you get 30gig, vids, photos etc. Is it tough enough to use during my workouts?

So which one? Please help me choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Well, firstly, (I'm cheap) I would try to reformat the iPod Shuffle with Disk Utility. I thought my Mini was fried, but I ran Disk Utility, reset it, ran the firmware update, and I was up and running again.

If that doesn't work I'd go for the iPod Nano. I have friends with both and the iPod is a lot bigger than the Nano. That's just what I'd do though.

OP
cjay
Reaction score
Tried everything to get the shuffle working but it's not happening, surprisingly there's a 350 post thread on this problem on apple's support forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
hmm...

Well it depends. If you've been fine the past year with the shuffle, then get the nano. It's smaller, and the flash-based drive is definately a plus. The 30 Gig is only necessary if you'd be taking long road trips. Personally, I have a 60 GB b/c my iTunes library is HUGE! (my U2 alone is something like 13 gigs...)

So in the end: go for the nano.

OP
cjay
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'll go the Nano, that's what people are recommending. I won't be as worried using it for workouts because it's flash-based. Luckily I found the receipt for the shuffle and it's still has a month to go on the warranty. I'll go in to the Applestore tomorrow and see if I can swing an upgrade.

thanks

Reaction score
I just bought a video 30gig
Had a heart attack from the price but i really like it over the nano.
Holds so much more and videos if your really bored.

but the price is a little crazy.

OP
cjay
Reaction score
Yeah I went into the shop and saw the 30gig video and really like it. If they replace my shuffle I might fork out the dollars for the 30gig, it's a very tidy little piece. Price is steep though especially here in Aus.

J

JSchultz

I just bought myself a 4gb nano, cos I don't like carrying bulk around (like I did with my 20Gb) and I am almost always armed with my laptop, so why watch vids on a small screen? Just made sense to me to go with a small compact piece. Then again, I only have 600-700 songs, and listen to only maybe 200 of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Well, the Nano will certainly be more ergonomic for working out in the Gym, but if you have the library of music and the will to dig out the big bucks for the video, than the video will be worth the money.

OP
cjay
Reaction score
Well the applestore replaced the shuffle with a new one but I've decided to get the ipod video 30gig as well. If the shuffle was out of warranty I think I would've got the nano.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Either way you still made a good choice.

OP
cjay
Reaction score
I got the 30gig video ipod, *gasp*, is it possible to love an object...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.