• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Comcast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I hate them! Like any Monopoly, they are the only providers of Cable Modem here in my town but they'e not even providing it to me yet.

Okay, as some know I have been waiting forever to get their Cable Internet.

So it was a couple months ago the internet said it was available then called, they said the same thing. A week later when I had enough for installation, boom, not available.
That was understandable, they didn't even have the Fiber Optics all the way over (but it was available about 15 miles from my house)

So anyways, they tell me by the end of the month. Nope.. now it's end of December...

So here I am waiting and they said a couple of days ago it was going to be a couple days from then to get it. So I call and they said this:

"It's showing up that it's available but let me check and see if it's ready" wholly crap?
"Okay, it's saying it's not ready, try about the middle of next week and it should be available"

**** idiots man!

I hate them >.< I've been waiting for way too long !!

But he also did say "It should be available to everyone (in my town) by January 1st"

Yeah right.. it'll be June before I probably get this.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
TimeWarner Road Runner is the dominator in my state. Their only compeditors are DSL (SBC, TDS, etc), and dial up. I suggest try gettin dsl..

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
DSL is available at this very moment but it's only 640k/256k

Cable modem is 3.5mbps/128k

I think I want the 3.5mbps dl

sKaD

F

Fomer

Comcast is horrible... I am awaiting Charter to reach my street slowly but surley they are getting here.

Comcast lost my respect because of their constant channle changing numbers and net going down all the time.

When you call them they are so rude here, I am done with them... or will be. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It is interesting what you are saying about Comcast. I current have Comcast. I have had 5 ro 6 different cable during the year I have been living at my current address. Service wise, they are all the same. Currently I get 1.2 and 2,4Mbps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i use Charter. 3.1mb/350kb

its also nice the regional office is no more than 5 miles away and the closest hub is in my apt complex. they are really easy to deal with too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Optimum Online can't beatem. I have had the same service for 6 years now
i just ran the speed tests on DSL Reports.

2.9 mbps
100 up

but i ran these tests while having 4 different BitTorrent windows open. 2 of them downloading at about 80 a piece with uploads about 120 and then two windows just upping at 200

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
i have comcast. terrible...

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Like I said, they own the state so I don't have anything else to go to, if they are bad then I will suffer and go to DSL.

sKaD

F

Fomer

hehe well I really stuck my foot in my mouth... The day after I posted that they sent out letters informing us they are bumping all 1.5 users up to 3. I never had 1.5 before but I have 3 now so I am glad. but they are stilll not very nice people to talk to. ;)

K

kakosc

Fomer - wont that just mean that more people on the cable network will have access to 3mbps speeds, making the average across the network alot slower and the network alot more unstable and unreliable? I smell overloaded servers.

F

Fomer

I have no clue how all that works. I ran a speedtest it said I was running 3, but it was a free site ya never know. :)

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Comcast spent like 11.3 million dollars here in NM upgrading their stuff.

Like I said, they're offering here 3.5mbps PER HOUSEHOLD and I'm sure they can handle it.

sKaD

C

cnesgoda

I have Road Runner, and it works great! The only reason why I didnt get DSL is because it is slow and if any one who has heard of Qwest Tellecoms, you know that they are bad news

K

kjellquist

I just got my Comcast hs access hooked up this weekend...the tech was in and out of my house in like 15 minutes. I had one minor problem with the setup (my fault) and the phone support was excellent. The dl speeds are way more than what I expected.

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Well, I still don't have it here, they are now saying the end of this month. *sigh* anyways..

Their product and Service might not be bad, but they have been giving me different availability dates and it's annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
whatever happened to first of the year?

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I have no clue man.. they said the cables are hard to get to since it's all ran underground so it's taking longer than expected...

Wish they would have told me March or something and I would have just gotten DSL for the meantime..

K

Kathie

I got Comcast digital cable hooked up the same week I got my iMac, have had my iMac for a week. : ) Previously I could only get dial-up, I live in the county. I never connected at anything faster than 49K. I tested my cable connection at Toast.net. ZOOOM!! Nothing but nothing compares to the speed of a cable modem. I would be curious to know what other cable subscribers pay. In this area, Comcast charges $45.95 per month. That includes the modem rental. I got free installation but the guy didn't set up mail for me. No prob, I called and was set up in no time.
Anyone willing to share their cable modem rate? I talked to one person at Comcast who said some areas charge $90.00/mo. for cable modem!!
Ouch!

OP
sKaD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
They still aren't going to hook me up with Comcast Cable Modem. Even though they are having commercials for it on the local channels here.

They told me another couple weeks. It's already middle of February and they told me beggining of Jan.??? They are **** suckers if you ask me.

I would have gotten Qwest DSL but my mother despises QWest and refuses to go with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.