Which XP should I get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Now, I've been contemplating of which version of XP to run on my Mac. I know I'm gonna buy one or the other, but do I really need XP Professional? The only real thing I'll be doing is gaming. Is XP Professional really worth the $100 extra? I have the money, but I don't wanna waste $100 if it's more or less pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Pro is really only better if your doing a lot of complicated networking. You'll be fine with Home.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If that is all you are going to be doing with XP, just go for the Home version. I personally prefer Pro but then I do a lot on my PC's with networking and need Pro. Home is fine for basic stuff and games. That will save you some $$$. Since you also have OSX for your other work, you don't need anything Pro will do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
If thats what you're doing... DON'T waste your money on pro... Pick up a few more games instead. I use our windows XP home desktop with all sorts of printer sharing and networking perfectly fine... It's for what it's called...Home... Also go to <a href http://www.newegg.com>Newegg</a> and look for the OEM version of windows XP home. You can get it for about $85 without the box and all the unneccessary stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
oh yea... and I know that link code didn't work so ignore it -.0...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
haha thanks for your input guys. I'll be picking up Home tomorrow, and I'll report back on how Boot Camp works for me!

here are the added features in xp pro according to wikipedia:

The two major editions are Windows XP Home Edition, designed for home users, and Windows XP Professional, designed for business and power-users.
Windows XP Professional offers a number of features unavailable in the Home Edition, including:
the ability to become part of a Windows Server domain — a group of computers that are remotely managed by one or more central servers (many businesses that use Windows have a Windows Server and a domain)
the use of a sophisticated access control scheme that allows specific permissions on files to be granted to specific users under normal circumstances.
the Remote Desktop server, which allows a PC be operated by another Windows XP user over a local area network or the Internet
offline Files and Folders, which allow the PC to automatically store a copy of files from another networked computer and work with them while disconnected from the network
the Encrypting File System, which encrypts files stored on the computer's hard drive so they cannot be read by another user, even with physical access to the storage medium
support for iSCSI protocol
centralized administration features, including Group Policies, Automatic Software Installation and Maintenance, Roaming User Profiles, and Remote Installation Service (RIS)
Symmetric multiprocessing, allowing the PC to divide work between multiple processors (CPUs)
(Windows XP Home Edition does, however, support the Hyper-threading functionality present on some Intel microprocessors. Although it has been reported to work on some dual-core microprocessors available from both AMD and Intel, Microsoft has recommended upgrading to Professional Edition for improved stability and compatibility.)

it sounds like xp pro works better on multiprocessor machines, i don't know how that applies to the imac core duo maybe someone here can clear that up. personally id go with xp pro just in case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.