iMac 27" 2010

Reaction score
Im new to this forum!, hello all!

I have a 27"iMac. Recently i've had a really annoying problem with my wired keyboard and blutooth magic mouse. I restarted the imac and all of a sudden I get a message on the top right corner "bluetooth unavailable". Ive tried removing the file from the library folder as once explained. No avail. Also i tried switching off, unplugging the power and holding the power button for 5-10 sec for "SMC reset". Again no avail.

The funniest thing about it all is that when I plug a dell mouse and keyboard, they work instantly. But the apple keyboard does not.

Another ridiculous thing is that if I plug the apple keyboard in my dell laptop....well, it works. So does the mouse btw.

Does anybody know what else I can do? The system is running on El Capitano. I dont know if this update has cause this issue.

Thanks for your time!

Steve

C

chas_m

It's not clear from your post if you've tried just the wired Apple keyboard alone. You also didn't mention trying a different USB port. Could you report back the results of these options?

I think from what you have done, we can rule out a mechanical issue with the Apple wired keyboard itself.

C

chas_m

Try a PRAM and SMC reset, only this time follow the directions Apple gives on how to do this to the letter. I have a feeling that SMC reset you did didn't "take."

OP
S
Reaction score
No, SMC reset didnt work. resetting PRAM involves pressing the keyboard. How will this work if the keyboard doesn't work in the first place? Im using a windows keyboard at the moment, what keys could I press instead?

C

chas_m

Windows Key (like Command on a Mac), Alt key (like option on Mac), P and R.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.