Can't stop AppleTV from emitting WIFI/RF radiation when using wired connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi there, i have an EMF detector and noticed that if i turn on airplay, the apple TV start emitting a wifi signal, even if i have a wired Ethernet connection going to it. There seems to be no way to stream audio or video from my desktop to the AppleTV just via ethernet wile keeping the wifi on AppleTV off.

Is there a way around this? I have an issue with RF signals and only use wired connections in the house. It would be great if there was an option to turn on airsharing, and thus screen mirroring or streaming from itunes just via ethernet, without the wifi turning on automatically. This didn't seem to be a problem on previous versions of the software.

thanks for the help!

C

chas_m

AirPlay has always used Wi-Fi, thus the name AIRPlay.

You can as far as I know still use Family/Home Sharing to stream content to the Apple TV from wired computers, but if you want to do something wirelessly, that is ... by definition ... going to need to use wireless.

OP
G
Reaction score
Well the wifi is off on the computer, so the actual streaming is happening via the wired ethernet connection anyways, thus there is no reason why the appleTV should keep the wifi signal on.
As you mentioned the home sharing functions are available when airsharing is off, but these don't allow to extend the computer monitor or stream directly from itunes to multiple speakers, they only allow to grab itunes & iphoto related media from the computer via the appleTv interface which is very inconvenient. I would hope that there is a way to have the airsharing streaming functionality, but just via ethernet with airsharing off so that the wifi would stay off. Ethersharing or something. Or at lease have an option to kill the wifi signal if a wired connection is present.

C

chas_m

Well the wifi is off on the computer, so the actual streaming is happening via the wired ethernet connection anyways, thus there is no reason why the appleTV should keep the wifi signal on.

Yes, there is. You yourself said it: "if i turn on airplay, the apple TV start emitting a wifi signal." That's correct. AirPlay requires Wi-Fi.

As you mentioned the home sharing functions are available when airsharing is off, but these don't allow to extend the computer monitor or stream directly from itunes to multiple speakers, they only allow to grab itunes & iphoto related media from the computer

That's correct.

I would hope that there is a way to have the airsharing streaming functionality, but just via ethernet with airsharing off so that the wifi would stay off. Ethersharing or something. Or at lease have an option to kill the wifi signal if a wired connection is present.

Not for the functions you mentioned, sorry.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Chas, real shame that they don't allow that, seems like a bit of an oversight! Beside the health reasons why some people want to keep wifi signals off, there are also a security issues, and there is no real reason why apple should force people to broadcast a signal if the wired option is there. Hopefully they'll fix it eventually

Reaction score
Hi there, i have an EMF detector and noticed that if i turn on airplay, the apple TV start emitting a wifi signal, even if i have a wired Ethernet connection going to it. There seems to be no way to stream audio or video from my desktop to the AppleTV just via ethernet wile keeping the wifi on AppleTV off.

Is there a way around this? I have an issue with RF signals and only use wired connections in the house. It would be great if there was an option to turn on airsharing, and thus screen mirroring or streaming from itunes just via ethernet, without the wifi turning on automatically. This didn't seem to be a problem on previous versions of the software.

thanks for the help!

By the way, which generation of Apple TV are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
"Beside the health reasons why some people want to keep wifi signals off"
Can't help thinking that you are over-reacting to any 'health reasons'. The air is full of electromagnetic radiation of all descriptions. I don't think one Apple TV is going to make a lot of difference. Just don't hold it against your head when it's on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Or move to a cave with no TV, mobile phones, microwaves, radio, DVD players etc etc etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Or move to a cave with no TV, mobile phones, microwaves, radio, DVD players etc etc etc.

But make sure you stay away from the entrance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
lol good one Sawday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.