• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Graphic card upgrade

Reaction score
I've got an early 2009 MacPro desktop with a 30" Apple monitor that i would love to be able to play some of the games on like the Call Of Duty series and the Medal of Honor series. Problem is my graphics card a Geforce 120 is to lame to run these programs. Would like to upgrade the card to something that will allow me to play some of these games.

I found an ATI Radeon HD5870 card that looks like it might work, but finding a driver seems like a problem, they all seem to be for a windows machine, nothing showing for OS X. So anyone got any ideas about if this card will work under El Capitan ? Or a suggestion about a different card that works under El Capitan ?

OP
James
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the references to check. After reading around i decided to yank the card out of an old windows machine that i used as a game player that had gone belly up. It is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2048 MG card that i had used for quite a while that defiantly did a good job in the windows machine. All i had to do was get me a couple of power cables to hook the card to the MacPro and it works great. Didn't have to find a driver or anything, El Capitan knew it and it worked right off the bat.

Ya it's a windows card and i miss the first and last of the video on boot up and shut down...big deal i don't get to see the Apple icon or the slide bar on boot or the little round and round thingy on shut down... I think i can live with that as the rest of the time the card works just fine and i can now run the games now that i could not before.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Congratulations. That was a very easy & inexpensive solution!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.