• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

G5 (the Processor) Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
How come everyone (including IBM and Apple) has said that 'the G5 cannot reach speeds up to 3 GHz when the G5 based processor in the XBOX 360 is a triple core processor with each core running at 3.2 GHz? I don't understand why IBM didn't use this same processor (or one very close to it) for Apple? Thanks for any insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
i remember reading somewhere on the forum that the X360's cores are specifically made for gaming. The computers processors are made for multiple tasks. someone correct me if wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is the kind of question that still makes me wonder why Apple REALLY switched to Intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
no the chips are designed specifically for gaming, plus M$ would order more G5 chips that apple would

Think about it who would you give priority to in a world where money talks?

L

lil

Supply was a huge one. One of our big problems when I worked at the Apple Centre was stock delivery being delayed and not having the high end models etc. This was a rather big problem.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
inflexion said:
no the chips are designed specifically for gaming, plus M$ would order more G5 chips that apple would

Think about it who would you give priority to in a world where money talks?

While I agree with what you say in theory, I think that was not IBMs problem. IBM and Motorola are both HUGE in the embedded chip market and are both rather bit players in the desktop market. Neither company was willing to do the kind of R&D for the desktop market that AMD and Intel do. Nearly all of the chips Apple used over the years were off shoots of developments made for the embedded market and not specifically designed for the desktop market. As such Apple always had a hard time getting newer, better and faster chips to market as the embedded market doesn't require the sort of speed or power that the desktop market does.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.