• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

neat trick with OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
You guys probably already know this but for those who don't

Hold control+command while minimizing a window. this slows the genie effect down a bit.

control+shift while minimizing slows down the genie effect a lot.

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
thats why some people like Mac OS X, with all the genie effects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
interesting.. I didn't know that... heh apple has tons of tricks up their sleeves.... If any of you have OS 9, I think that if you press the option key, then select the apple menue, It will say "about the finder" instead of about this mac... If you click on it, you get to see a nice picture of apple's headquarters...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You are correct about OS9. There were different pictures in different finder versions throughout the years. One had picture of the Mac flag over the campus, one had a pirate flag, and one you could rip the flag off with the cursor and it would fly across and down through the picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Here are some more shortcut keys for anyone interested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
That is pretty neat, I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
oh, and check this one out- command+option+control+8... it's pretty wicked, and press it again to undo that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4, 1.5Ghz, 768Mb RAM, 80gb hard drive-imac G4-ipod touch 32Gb 3g-Macbook 2.4ghz, 2BG RAM
BlindingLights said:
oh, and check this one out- command+option+control+8... it's pretty wicked, and press it again to undo that

sweeeeett!!
More! please!

Reaction score
I keep seeing this command + option + control + 8 thing, and I think you should tell me what it does, because I don't want to wait until Friday when I get my iBook to see what it does :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
SilverEagle5 said:
I keep seeing this command + option + control + 8 thing, and I think you should tell me what it does, because I don't want to wait until Friday when I get my iBook to see what it does :p

it inverts the colors of the screen (ex. blue becomes orange, green becomes purple)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
yeah, it's more or less a negative of your display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Holding shift while minimizing slows it down too, to a speed in between control-command and control-shift. In fact, holding shift will allow you to slow down a lot of things, like dashboard in and out, expose, and minimizing and maximizing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There are actually 4 speeds for the minimize process. Normal (click), Slow (ctrl+command+click), Super Slow (Shift+click), and Super Duper Slow (Option+Shift+click). These commands (most of them) work with all Dock oriented processes. Hold down shift while activating Expose and Dashboard, it does the same thing.

Now for the amazing. (I think I've posted this before...)

Open Terminal and type (minus the quotes):

"killall Dock"

Don't hit enter yet, though. Now open Safari and get it as big as you can. Hold Option+Shift and click the Minimize button. Safari will begin to slowly "genie" down. Now quickly activate Terminal and hit enter. This sends the "kill" command to the Dock and the minimize effect stops leaving Safari in an awkward position. Just quit Safari to get it off the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Now that is cool! Not only does it freeze in place, but I didn't know the morph was live! I thought it just took a screen cap of the window, then performed the genie effect, but after doing your trick, safari could still scroll the page, go to new adresses, etc.

I wonder if there is a cool way to hack this so that you could morph around live windows. Heh, doesn't take much to make my day, obviously... :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
In Panther you could do the same thing with Expose. Type "killall Dock" in Terminal with a few windows open. Hit F9, then hit Enter to execute the command. All your windows would be stuck in tiny/blurry land and you could still move them around and type in them. I can't get this to work in Tiger for some reason though...

Reaction score
Thought I'd revive this thread with another expose trick I've found from here. I've never heard about it before so curious to see how many people know about it.

Basically, press F9 to see all your windows in expose, or you can press F10 for just the expose on the app your working in. The trick is that you can press F9 and then afterwards press tab and it will switch to application view..but wait there's more! if you keep pressing tab then it will cycle through your open apps in expose mode (shift+tab to cycle back).

Best way to test it is open a few windows in a couple of different apps.

I love stuff like this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Cool, I did not know that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.