Enable "Cut" in "Finder": OS X 10.4.6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Is there no way to do this without using MacPilot? $9.95 isn't bad for the app, but that's the only feature I would really use it for. Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
What's wrong with:

Command+C
Command+Delete
Command+V

?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
surfwax95 said:
What's wrong with:

Command+C
Command+Delete
Command+V

?

What's wrong is that this isn't really a shortcut, per se, not by the definition of the word shortcut.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
What's wrong with:

Command+C
Command+Delete
Command+V

?

Which one is "cut" (with a file or files selected in Finder)? In moving text, isn't Command+X the cut shortcut? I suppose I could use that/those, but it would be nice to enable it in Finder as well. Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There is no hidden "cut" command due to it's redundancy along with "copy". Which is why it isn't in "the world's most advanced OS". Drag/drop, copy, spring-loaded-folders, and Expose flow so well together there was never any need for "Cut".

So, short answer, sorry, but no there's no cut command in OSX; unless it is enabled via a 3rd party app.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
There is no hidden "cut" command due to it's redundancy along with "copy". Which is why it isn't in "the world's most advanced OS". Drag/drop, copy, spring-loaded-folders, and Expose flow so well together there was never any need for "Cut".

So, short answer, sorry, but no there's no cut command in OSX; unless it is enabled via a 3rd party app.

Thanks very much.

Mark

D

dmetzcher

surfwax95 said:

I think that saying it isn't needed is your opinion, and it differs from mine, and many others as well. There are plenty of little things that "aren't needed", but they are added to make things work a little smoother, or look a little better, for the user. Cut should be added for those who want to use it. It's terribly useful, and saves a step/keypress. I'd say that the world's most advanced operating system should save a keypress, where possible, especially if adding the command doesn't hurt the user or anything else in terms of how the OS works. If Apple wants to keep it "hidden", they can leave it off by default, and have you activate it via a system preference.

I've heard so many people say "Apple didn't add it, so it isn't necessary." Respectfully, that's fanboy nonsense. Though I completely agree with the comment that OS X is the most-advanced OS on the planet, I do not think that Apple gets every detail correct, and there are always things that can be added or improved upon. When Apple is doing great things, I say it. When they leave something out, or something could be better, that should be said as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.