Saving MS Word 2016 Documents in El Capitan 10.11.2 (January 2016)

Reaction score
In spring 2015 I purchased my first Mac computer, specifically, an iMac 27-inch, i7 processor, 8 GB Ram, with 1.12 TB Fusion Drive. Using Migration Assistant I transferred my MS Word files (from MS Windows 7 Professional) to the iMac. In the fall (2015) I purchased MS 2016 Home & Student for Mac (which includes: Excel, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint--none of which I use--and Word). Saving documents worked fine; no issues. However, recently I have been unable to save documents; receiving the following message: "Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume." This is more than a major problem for me because of my extensive use of MS Word for my work in outlines, lengthy documents, etc. Is there a correction for this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
You could try running disc first aid in disc utility.

If that doesn't work then I'd re download MS Office in case any permissions files have been corrupted on your current version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
However, recently I have been unable to save documents; receiving the following message: "Word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume."
Does this only happen in select locations? If so, what do you see under the permissions section when you right click the folder and select Get Info.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt response. Through a friend's answer by e-mail my problem got resolved!

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Although, I ran Disc First Aid, it did not correct the issue. Nevertheless, this morning the problem was resolved through a friend's e-mail response.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Would you mind posting the fix for the benefit of others who might be facing the same problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect he was trying to save those files to an external hard drive formatted to NTFS. At least that would by my WAG. ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
Unknowingly, I was attempting to save my files to the root folder of the Macintosh HD, to which I do not have write permission. How that happened I cannot say; nevertheless, once I changed back to "Documents" I could once again "Save" my files with no further issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting the solution. At least you weren't trying to write to a NTFS external drive. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.