Mac Pro 2009 Nahalem will not turn on

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to posting on this forum. Today, my Mac will not turn on. This same problem happened about 2 months ago. I performed the ram reset and it turn on and operated perfectly until this morning. The problem happened again where it will not respond to the press of the on/off button. I have performed all the same steps, and still nothing. About two years ago I had added additional ram to bring it up to 20GB. I removed the the additional ram as part of the testing process and still no responce from the on button. Other forums have suggested replacing the power supply or the graphics card.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Art

C

chas_m

If you're not getting even the slightest response, I am inclined to think the power supply has gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,, Thank you very much for the information... I really appreciate it. After much contemplation, I have purchased a used power supply off ebay. It should arrive in about 7 days.
After I paid for the used power supply I decided to try one more thing, as not one of the suggestions in the manual brought my mac back to life. I held down only the power button while pluging the power cord into the mac and two red lights lit on the backing board. Both lights read ovtemp cpu a and cpu b... I have my fingers crossed that this indicates I made the correct decision to purchase a used power supply image.jpg
image.jpg Thank you for your help ! I will let you know how it turns out after the power supply is installed

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you #harryb2448 for the info. I read the link you supplied and I would like to avoid going thru the hassle of constantly replacing the psu. Unfortunately, I am not the original owner of this mac, it did not come with system install discs :-(
I went ahead and opened up the power supply, I tried to find info as to where the fuse you mentioned would be located, however, I came up empty. If you or anyone has any info, I would greatly appreciate it ! Here are some photos of the power supply open image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
image.jpg Located the 16a 250v fuse next to the plug connector. Continuity is good. Tested it with and without power. With power 120v is read.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
I seriously need help. New/used power supply came in and I installed it. The exact same pattern as the original power supply happens. During the power cord plug in the 2 red led lights flash once. Press the power button and nothing happens.
New Power supply is an exact match to origina. 614-0454l
Please advise. Need help.

Thank you very much

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.