problem installing 10.1 (not within first 8GB)

J

justmehere

I'm trying to install OX 10.1 on my system and the installer says when you get to the Select Destination that the drive is not within the first 8GB of the drive ? Its a 10GB hard drive. Why cannot I install OSX ? thanks in advance

OP
B

Badger

On some older Macs the operating system must be within the first 8 gbs of the hard disk. If the HD is larger than 8 gbs it must be partitioned. The first partition must be 8 gbs or smaller and the OS installed in the first partition. This was a "feature" of the ATA disk controller that was used in these models. In your case you could do the first at 6 gbs and the 2nd at 4.

OP
J

justmehere

Thanks for the help. I was able to install MacOS 9.0/9.1(update) on the 10GB drive with the a single 10GB partititon. If thats the case I'll re-partition the drive with 8GB/2GB partitions. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
justmehere said:
Thanks for the help. I was able to install MacOS 9.0/9.1(update) on the 10GB drive with the a single 10GB partititon. If thats the case I'll re-partition the drive with 8GB/2GB partitions. Thanks.

To ensure that you don't run into any issues, make the first partition 7.99 GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Don't use 10.1(Puma) Go with 10.2(Jaguar), much better.

OP
L

lil

Agreed, Mac OS X 10.1 doesn't offer any real benefits to running OS 9 as most modern software doesn't run on OS X 10.1, and the software that does is ironically also usually OS 9 compatible via CarbonLib! (Illustrator 10, Photoshop 7 and InDesign 2 come to mind)

10.2 would at least open you up to CS2, Office 2004 and many more apps. That said if you don't have 10.2, you don't have it :flower:

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.