• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Where do we send feedback about Apple Store retail locations?

B

bigbadandugly

I'm kinda pissed at the Apple Store retail location here in Toronto. I'm not sure if I just hit the two bad apples in the Apple Store barrel, but I talked to two employees that left me a little disturbed.

The first was some mope who really new very little about the products - as asked him if the Big Bang Chess game I saw on a demo machine was included and he said no, but that they put s/w on the demo machines to show them off. Later, surfing the web, I noticed that it was (not to mention that it was listed as included on the label on the mini I eventually bought). He also wasn't that helpful when I asked about what types of wireless components were compatible with the Mac (since the Mac Classic/SE days, I've only ever looked at Macs since I received an e-mail on the Intel mini shortly after its launch).

I went to order a mini off the Apple Store website but noticed the forecasted delivery date was too late for my daughters' B-day, so I decided to go grab one at the Apple Store. However, I did notice that you could configure it with a single 512 MB SO-DIMM instead of the default 2x256 MB SO-DIMMs. This was important to me because I was going to buy a third party module to upgrade to 1 GB. So when I requested a base model at the Apple Store, I asked if it had a single 512 MB SO-DIMM. She said "yes". To make sure she wasn't mistaking my query of a 512 MB single SO-DIMM for a question about having a total of 512 MB of RAM, I asked again if, and I quote, "it had a single 512 MB module or two 256 MB modules for a total of 512 MB". She emphatically acknowledged a single 512 MB module, noting that that was the base configuration. I was a little surprised at this comment given the website seem to indicate a base configuration of 2x256 MB, but given she was an Apple Store retail employee, I mistakenly assumed she new best and that perhaps the webpage was dated.

Needless to say, when I got my mini apart and discovered it had two 256 MB modules, I went on an emotional rollercoaster. First, my heart sank knowing that I wouldn't be able to upgrade to 1 GB with the combination of memory modules I had (1x512 MB and 2x256 MB), and that given Apple recommends installing "matched pairs", even going to 768 MB was not recommended. Then I went through a stage of anger, remembering that the Apple Store employee told me succinctly that the mini I bought had 512 MB, and now that I had opened it I wouldn't be able to return it without suffering a 10% restocking fee.

After much research I discovered that I could run with 768 MB with only a potentially limited impact given my intended use of the machine, but that still leaves me with less that the 1 GB of memory I had paid for and an unused 256 MB module. Needless to say, after being a longtime Windows/Linux user, my first experience with a Mac simply sucks. Although I love the unit and feel the innovation, quality and features of Macs simply outclass PCs vendors on all counts, I find the Apple Store service I received was subpar to say the least.

Sorry for the long post, but you get my drift.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Generally if you put up enough of a fuss at the store, you'll get what you want. My recommendation is to speak with the store manager. If that's not satisfactory, tell him you want the name and number of the regional manager. That normally does it.

Reaction score
I have also been a little disattified with the toronto apple store. My mac would not boot so i took it to the store and they said that i need to reinstall and do it all myself plus i have the full applecare plan.

OP
L

lil

Sounds like they know jack s... ;)

Some Apple employees are indeed bad apples. Indeed where I used to work (an AppleCentre here in the UK) only 3 out of the 5 retail staff (me being one) owned a Mac. So they talked a heck of a lot of rubbish sometimes.

So I am very sorry you haven't had the experience you should have got and had come to expect. That said I can assure you that not all Apple retail staff are bad, some are the best of their ilk and know their products like the back of their hands.

If I were you i would write to the store manager or ask to speak to him and explain your dissatisfaction at the level of knowledge by some if his/her employees. You have the right to complain as the sales staff should know their products.

Also—all Apple sales staff should be put on the ASTO (Apple Sales Training Online) programme which teaches retail staff all things Apple when it comes to sales and service. Completing ASTO to the highest level gives that staff member Apple Product Professional (APP) status and it make be worth asking in the future.

I certainly know up until October 2005 ASTO was going and that was when I got my last APP certification—all Apple Store employees should have this or be working towards it. I know for sure it is not just a UK thing.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
make a big deal in the middle of the store...that usually gets your problems solved and usually a free thing or two ;)

i am sorry to hear that you have had such a bad experience, and that others seem to have had the same thing at the same store. i would definately call one of the places in this list http://www.apple.com/contact/ and see who you can complain to as well

-chris

Reaction score
Orland Square Store is also terrible

I have never joined a forum before but this store just made me so angry I don't know where to relate my frustration.

It was a Saturday when I went in and got an invoice for a Mac book. I wanted the "90-day same as cash" financing but the site (Jupiter, I think) wasn't able to complete the transaction. So the store suggested to wait for their response in the next day or so. They gave me the invoice so when I come back, all they have to do is scan it and get my product ready quicker than a fresh sale would have taken.

It was Monday. With no response from Jupiter, I went back to the store and decided to just buy it outright. Instead, I find the place chaotic with no sales staff available for customers who are ready to buy. They seemed to be more interested in customers who are thinking of buying.

I had to block one sales guy's path just to get his attention and explain my situation. I noticed that the he kept looking at this one person which he later told me was the one who gives them directions and priority.

Incidentally, all sales staff were wearing light blue shirts while the one person who they are relying for assignments was wearing an orange shirt. Why this orange-shirt guy is waiting on customers instead of getting the staff directions I wouldn't know. It's not logical. I guess the staff did not seem to be knowledgeable in sales techniques either.

Just to give you an idea of the time I spent at the store, I arrived at 7:30 PM and did not get out with my product until 9PM (closing time).

Hey Orland Square Store! Here's a tip - don't make it hard for your customers to give you their money.

Oh, and another feature they have in the store - a customer can enter their name in a work station. It looks like a scheduling system, much like a ticket number dispenser in a deli store, only it's more hi-tech. Unfortunately, it's already fully booked for the day. Some customers already left due to the long wait but did not bother to remove their names. So much for that feature.

Sorry for the long post, but somebody from the corporate office has to look into this. And if anybody from corporate is reading this, never again shall our paths meet.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You know, there is a survey link on apples site. I filled it out and indicated that I'd accept a phone call to discuss my negative experience at the store and got a call the next day actually. I haven't been back to the store to see how it actually worked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo / 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 80GB HD
Positive Experience in NY

I've used that survey link after having a very positive experience in the West Nyack, NY store (Palisades Mall) and I actually received an email from the store manager thanking me for my feedback! If you are in the Metro NY area, forget the stores in NYC, go to the Palisades Mall. These ladies/gents know their stuff (for not being total computer geeks), they are honest/accurate about their timelines should your hardware ever need repair, and if they don't know the answer to a question, they do their best to point you in the right direction.

Bottom line is that (at least in my experience) they pay attention to the survey link, so don't be afraid to speak your mind via this method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
we have 2 Apple stores here where I live, And I refuse to go there anymore
they are just like nomoreapple described them mainly a bunch of 18-20 year olds hanging out. Who for the most part don't have a lot of in depth knowledge regarding the product.The worst experiences I have had with the Apple store are warranty issues with my Macbook both warranty services I had the "Geniuses" swore up and down they were not covered by Apples warranty both times I called Apple and they fixed it no problem at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
hrm, perhaps taking the 'reduce warranty costs' idea in the wrong light :D

Reaction score
Where is this link for the store survey? I went into a store lately and the person I spoke to at the genius bar was extremely rude. And I mean rude from the get go.

Jumped up little twat that he was!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.