home sharing and apple tv

Reaction score
home sharing will not work on my apple tv.
I have reentered my password several times no luck.
thanks for any help

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're going to need a bit more information in order to figure this one out.
1. Which version of the Apple TV is this? There have been at least four different models released over the run of this product.
2. Which Mac are you using and with what OS X version? Check "About This Mac" under the Apple menu if you are not sure.
3, Have you checked to make sure the two devices are on the same wireless network?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And have you turned on home sharing in iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
do you have iTunes running on your computer? you need to see the dot below iTunes in the dock, at least on mine i have to if i want sharing to work on my atv.

M

MJG196

I searched for answers on the Apple Support forums, and, as usual, that is the worst place to go for help.

Here is what I have dug up and I posted over there:

Looking around the Internet, this is a HUGE issue with El Capitan (EC). Home Sharing is not working correctly between desktops running EC and Apple TV (4th Gen). There are a dozen or so different work-arounds that people have figured out, but none of them seem to stick. Every day I look for a new update to either iTunes, Apple TV, or EC that addresses this issue, but no luck thus far.

Fix #1
1 Open System Preferences from the Apple () menu.
2 Open Sharing pane.
3 Double-click the name of your Mac in the Computer Name field
4 Delete and rename your computer
5 Close Sharing pane. System Preferences will automatically saves the new name.
6 Go to iTunes.
7 Quit iTunes and launch it again

Fix #2
1 Open iTunes
2 Open preferences
3 Click Sharing icon
4 Ensure you have checked the box for sharing your library on your local network
5 Quit iTunes and launch it again

Both of these "fixes" work for some people and not others, and most of the time are intermittent - sometimes movies will cut out while people are watching them. This is a HUGE issue that I wish Apple would address. I can't stream movies that are on my desktop's iTunes!!

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Just to give a counter point, my ATV4 and Mac Mini (running the latest public build of El Cap and iTunes) work fine together, with rock solid reliability. No work around was required, just entering the appropriate passwords on the ATV.

So this isn't a universal problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2013 iMac 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7/32G Ram Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, iPhone 6
I have home sharing turned on my iMac, and use an ATV3 and ATV4 on my two television setups. All are logged into the same Apple ID and work without issue. Now if I don't have iTunes running on my iMac home sharing does not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.9 GHz i5 24GB RAM, iPhone 5 64Gb, Apple TV 160Gb, Time Capsule 1Tb.
Hi, For what it is worth, I appear to be suffering the same fate.
I have downloaded a 13 episode TV series, via iTunes onto my Mac. I can share 1 x episode with my ATV1. I have tried to log into the iTunes Store from the ATV and am having no luck.
User names and passwords are correct. I am reluctant to change my computer's name as per MJG196's suggestion. (also the Computer name is not shared on the ATV, my user account name is.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Same problem happening here. I'm confused because up until I turned on my ATV4 today it has been fine.

Was this issue resolved as I'm now suffering the same problem?

I'm signed into the same home sharing account on my iMac (where all my music is stored), 3 MacBooks, my iPhone and the ATV. However the ATV will not pick up any of the music from my library. All other devices are fine. Also when I click on computers on the ATV the screen is just blank. It used to show my computer there.

I've tried logging out of home sharing on the iMac and the ATV and then logging back in and restarting the ATV but no joy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
One thing that might help is to ensure that the computer is authorized.

iTunes/Account/Authorizations/Authorize This Computer

Not that it will help anyone who has had it working and now does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks Kevin.

My iMac is authorised.

After going to the effort of typing the above I seem to have resolved it (I know...)!

I just signed out of and back into iCloud on my ATV and voila - working again. I've no idea what that did as I was already signed into the same account with the correct password but there ya go!

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.