Mac Pro 6,1 SSD TEMPS - What is too hot?

Reaction score
I recently ran disk warrior on my mac after having some slight issues. While disk warrior was running I received a message saying "This disk is running too hot." With that in mind, what is a standard operating temp for the ssd's in this mac pro (late 2013 - 6,1) and what would be considered too hot?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to check the specs for that particular SSD to find out what the normal operating tempertures for it are. That's information the manufacturer would have or it may have come with instructions or a spec sheet with the SSD. The notice you received about the disk running too hot - was it from Disk Warrior?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Disk applies to hard drive, disc to the DVD/CD. Open your Mac Pro up and give it a good clean. Also a monitoring program such as iStat Menus is a good investment and has a free trial:-

https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
I do run istat and I do keep a close eye on it, but if I don't know what is too hot, then monitoring it does nothing. I also run TG Pro for fan control. Disk Warrior told me the disk was running too hot. When it said that, the SSD was at around 149 Fahrenheit.

Here is the details on the SSD - APPLE SSD SM0512F. I did a few google searches and couldn't come up with any detailed specs. If you know a site, I'd love to know.

C

chas_m

I do run istat and I do keep a close eye on it, but if I don't know what is too hot, then monitoring it does nothing. I also run TG Pro for fan control.

Found the problem. Stop messing with Apple's built-in cooling system.

Unless you believe there is an actual mechanical problem such as clogged or non-functional fans, there is every chance that you have invented and exacerbated this entirely. The temperature you reported is not abnormal. It's also entirely possible that your copy of DW has no idea what temperature is within tolerances for an SSD, so even the warning could be in error.

Let us know if you have heat-related shutdowns under NORMAL system operation (i.e. No sort of fan control, and no pushing the system to its limits with long gaming sessions or suchlike). Then we can make some rational judgement on what -- or even if -- problems exist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.