Upgrading the new macbook pros

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
My 2011 macbook pro has died (logic board). Apple are calling me on Wednesday regarding the repair. I've been considering just buying a new one if its not much price difference. However, it seems since 2011 apple have decided to further lock down the system and make it near impossible to upgrade on the new models (I want to upgrade the ram and add SSD).
However, I saw this older model for sale on their site. Can anyone advise if this is upgradable after purchase?
http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101B/A&step=config

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have checked the site, it tells me to either call, or be called by apple. Hoping they fix it for free. If not, I'll consider a new one. Not sure how I feel about pumping £300 into a 4 year old machine which might only last another year. Thanks though!

C

chas_m

I hope your machine qualifies for the repair. As for the latest MacBook Pros, Apple does still sell a very-upgradable model, the non-Retina 13-inch (essentially, minus an optical drive, the same machine I have from mid-2012). However, my understanding on the latest Retina models is that they are essentially non-upgradeable (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken), so you have to order them as you want them at the time of purchase.

OWC has shown resilience in being able to upgrade storage on a number of MacBook Pro models, but as far as I can tell it remains to be seen if they will have options for storage upgrades on current and future MBPs. It's worth noting that as Apple has starting sealing up their machines, the incidence of needing a major repair in the first three years has fallen precipitously (per Consumer Reports). I know my previous employer (where I worked as a tech) has seen a notable drop in Mac repairs among recent models -- luckily, customers have generously made up for this by routinely dropping their iOS devices. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have checked the site, it tells me to either call, or be called by apple. Hoping they fix it for free. If not, I'll consider a new one. Not sure how I feel about pumping £300 into a 4 year old machine which might only last another year. Thanks though!

Agree. Just make sure they have checked your serial number against the 'faulty' list.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to the site it does qualify. Quite timely, as the free repair offer expires in Feb 2016. Even if it gets repaired i might save for a newer model and sell my old one.
The macbook pro link I added above is the same one you describe, it sucks to lose a retina display though... I hear that the ram is glued into place on the newer models. I wanted one I could add ram and ssd myself as the cost of apple upgrades are ridiculous. If i wanted to install 16gb ram, its another £180. I can buy and fit that for £70. Also, the HD size of the new MBPs are tiny and can't upgrade them on the basic model, only the more expensive 13", then its £400 to add a 1tb HD. crazy!

I won't lie, the non upgradeable elements are making me question buying another apple product. They have slowly been getting worse with stuff like this. Unfortunately, I use it for work and my main hobbies, I'm kinda invested into the apple system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
However, I saw this older model for sale on their site. Can anyone advise if this is upgradable after purchase?
http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MD101B/A&step=config

The Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro you linked to is still a current model, and is upgradable. It's available with i5 or i7 processors, and will take 16GB memory, currently any SSD up to 9.5mm depth, and the optical drive can be swopped for a carrier and a second hard drive. A 7200 rpm drive being ideal for fast high capacity storage.

Re your 2011 MacBook Pro, both the 15" mid and late 2011 models are eligible for repair under the REP, but have to run and fail Apple's video System Test to be covered. Was your video fault constant? Some I've seen have been intermittent and have taken weeks of testing before they fail VST.

The MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2012) was the last 15" non retina MacBook Pro produced, and unlike the 2010 and 2011 models, didn't have GPU related problems. This is the best of the pre retina MBP's to own. The AG display version was particularly nice, not picking up screen reflections as the others did.

Hopefully the OP's MBP will or has failed fail the VST.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not an industry insider but I'd bet that Apple's decision to make new systems virtually impossible to upgrade is driven by market research. If my computer using friends/colleagues are any indication the majority of them do not upgrade their systems. When they outgrow the machine it's replaced with a new one.

I suspect that it won't be long before PC manufacturers follow Apple's lead and make their systems less user upgradeable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect that it won't be long before PC manufacturers follow Apple's lead and make their systems less user upgradeable.

They already are. It's rare nowadays to find a high quality PC notebook computer that can be upgraded. The few that remain are ridiculously priced.... for example go the Dell website and price out Alienware computers or go to the Sager website and look at some of their offerings. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
I would never recommend the the 13" MBP, its a 2012 model, 2012 battery tech, 2012 processor, 2012 graphic's, 2015 price....

As far as the rMBP go and upgradability, they come with PCIe SSD's can't get any better than that, I just wish apple would ease up on the price of the 512gb and 1TB SSD's. The only thing that I don't like that you can't "upgrade" is the ram, especially in the AIR's that come with 4gb and are going to be useless in 2 years, but just order your pro with 16gb of ram from Apple, then no need to worry.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you stated is true, however, some folks still like to purchase the 2012 13" MBP because it's the only remaining Apple notebook computer that's completely upgradeable. But I agree, it's overpriced and old technology. Nowadays when ordering a new retina MacBook Pro, it's a good idea to max it out for memory and the PCIe SSD. Of course that means spending more $$. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 15" MBP 2.6 i7 GT 650M 16GB RAM/2012 27" iMac 3.4 i7 Radeon HD 6970M 2GB 24GB RAM
What you stated is true, however, some folks still like to purchase the 2012 13" MBP because it's the only remaining Apple notebook computer that's completely upgradeable. But I agree, it's overpriced and old technology. Nowadays when ordering a new retina MacBook Pro, it's a good idea to max it out for memory and the PCIe SSD. Of course that means spending more $$. ;)
Yeah I sell them, but only if the customer goes against my recommendation, I'm not going to argue with them, I tell them it's old and if they still want it ok. I just wouldn't recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini 2.5 ghz i5, 16 GB RAM, 960 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD (5200 RPM)
They already are. It's rare nowadays to find a high quality PC notebook computer that can be upgraded. The few that remain are ridiculously priced.... for example go the Dell website and price out Alienware computers or go to the Sager website and look at some of their offerings. ;D

Hah! Well Alienware has always been about paying for the brand name. Sager/Clevo is about the only game in town that is putting decent video cards in laptops and having the good sense to provide the right kind of cooling so your system isn't a furnace. You pay for the ability to provide your own mods with a bulky battery muncher but if gaming or high performance is your thing, Sager machines are terrific, well worth the money. They're often competitive with whatever trash MSI is hawking anyway.

Where we're at is a natural byproduct of the push towards ultrathin. You take the bad with the good I suppose. I'm fine with a thin profile, sealed case design. I don't look to my laptop as a performance machine though. That's why I have a desktop computer.

OP
vaughan80
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have room, or the inclination to be tied to a desk and have a desktop machine. A laptop suits me fine for music production and photography editing (my main hobbies). If Logic Pro wasn't Apple exclusive, i'd jump ship.

UPDATE: My macbook Pro has been repaired. The machine was eligible for the free logic board repair. The apple representative on the phone was really helpful, I took it to an Apple Authorised Re-Seller called KRCS in Hull, based on Apple's recommendation (the nearest Apple store is about 200 miles from my house) .

The service was amazing. I took the Macbook in for repair on the 29th December and received it back today.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's great news. here's to many more hours of trouble free computing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pleased for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 "MacBookPro (2011).
Is it possible to upgrade the processor for a MBP 13" which has 2.3GHz i5 to i7?
I have already upgraded the memory to 16GB.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.