iTunes Match Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi

I did post this a coupe of months ago but it may have been in the wrong sub forum so apologies for throwing out this plea for help again.

All my music, both purchased from iTunes and ripped from CD is stored on my iMac.

I subscribe to iTunes Match which I believe means that all my music should be available on all my devices (my iPhone and 3 MacBooks - all Apple devices). iTunes Match is enabled on all the above devices. All machines are running 10.11.2 and iTunes is bang up to date (version 12.3.2).

However here is the problem:

- on my iMac I have 930 albums and over 7000 tracks
- on my other devices I only have 667 albums and around 6500 tracks
- so some albums and tracks are missing from my other devices
- some of the missing albums include both iTunes purchases and ripped CDs
- some of the missing tracks are from albums (again both purchased and ripped) where other tracks are available.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling iTunes Match, updating my library and de-authorising and re-authorising each machine, all to no avail.

Many thanks, Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
iTunes Match has never quite lived up to the promise for me. Biggest issue seems to be songs that you own that iTunes doesn't sell. Match is supposed to upload from your home unit to cloud these missing items, but I haven't seen it work all that well in practice

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks RM

I always expected that iTunes match wouldn't give me access to absolutely all my material, but thought that it would be limited to stuff that I'd ripped - not actual songs and albums I'd purchased through iTunes itself.

If I can't get this sorted then Im going to cancel my subscription next year and give something else a go.

Thanks again, Nick

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't resorted to that yet Chas. Thought I'd see on here first whether this was a known issue with a simple fix.

I'll contact them in the New Year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.