Canon IJ Scan Utility Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Opening a fresh thread on this topic as Canon are giving me the run around. Whenever I try to get clarification on this issue a new support person there contradicts their previous answer and so I've decided that they really have no idea about which of their drivers work with what. They have told me to use their IJ scan utility for El Capitan but they gave me a link to an old version which wouldn't have worked. I've now found a new version that should work with with both my existing Mavricks iMac and with El Capitan. However, it doesn't work with Mavricks and I've no faith that it work with El Capitan given that it gives me a message that my scanner is not connected (odd that as Image Capture and Canon's own MP Navigator find it OK!). Judging by the comments on various sites, including Apple support, I'm not the only one having problems with this software.

So, to the point of this thread... Does anyone here successfully run IJ Scan Utility? If so, what version and with what version of OSX? Also what scanner are you using?

As an aside, Canon told me a week ago that my MP Navigator software will no longer run under El Capitan but I've just discovered that they issued a new version for El Capitan in September 2015. Doh!

C

chas_m

Can you give us some specifics on the model? With that information, we could easily look up (from Apple's own list) if there are built-in drivers in El Cap or not.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Scanner is a Canon 9000F.

C

chas_m

According to this list:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201465

The Canon 9000F scanner is fully supported under OS X Lion and higher.

Usually what I recommend is to REMOVE the scanner from the printer list, then re-add it. This usually forces the correct driver to be installed.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ummm... Interesting but it doesn't state which software this applies to, nor whether full functionality is maintained. I'm assuming Apple can only vouch for it's own software ie Image Capture.

My latest email from Canon states "We can confirm that the information on the our official web page is correct and unfortunately the functionality of your product is limited after the driver update."

The information on the website regarding their driver states "Due to a change in the OS specifications, scanning from the product (by using the SCAN button) is not available." A previous email from them stated that this website information was wrong. They have now changed their mind.

As Canon themselves don't seem to know whether the scanner buttons will still work and as I cannot get their recommended IJ Scan Utility to work, I though an actual user on here might be able to give a definitive answer.

C

chas_m

I've already given you a definitive answer. Apple includes a built-in driver for that model in its Lion and higher software. You're probably correct that their in-house software won't work properly -- but that doesn't stop Image Capture, and it doesn't stop Vuescan. Why don't you test those and then get back to us about what, if anything, you still need?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas, but I'm not in a position to install El Capitan, test the software and then reinstall Mavricks if tests show the software doesn't work.

The scanner has a number of buttons for direct functions (auto, copy, email, various pdf options). These are not handled by Image Capture nor Vuescan. Canon have stated (but then rescinded) that these buttons would continue to work but also stated that their IJ Scan utility would replicate these functions. I cannot get this later software to work at all, hence my post.

Image Capture gives only very basic functionality which is great for a simple copy but not the functionality of my current Canon software eg Gutter shadow correction (for copying books), Fare 3 (dust and scratch removal) nor colour and grain correction. I'm aware that Vuescan offers some of these functions but that's an extra cost option which would be redundant if the Canon software will continue to work under El Capitan. Meanwhile, as these functions work now with my present set up and as I cannot risk losing them, even for a short time I'm seeking a definitive answer from users themselves.

C

chas_m

Well, I wish you luck in your quest and I hope some users here who have direct experience can pipe up.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you explore avenues to try and talk directly with HP engineers on this problem, as they are the ones likeliest to have the actual answer.

Also, and perhaps you mentioned it earlier (I can't go and look at the moment) but if there are any web-forums (official from HP or unofficial), you might have better luck finding others with the issue (or at least with the same equipment) and compare notes with them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, you said HP, did you mean Canon?

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I wish you luck in your quest and I hope some users here who have direct experience can pipe up.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you explore avenues to try and talk directly with HP engineers on this problem, as they are the ones likeliest to have the actual answer.

Also, and perhaps you mentioned it earlier (I can't go and look at the moment) but if there are any web-forums (official from HP or unofficial), you might have better luck finding others with the issue (or at least with the same equipment) and compare notes with them.

Thanks Chas. I've already PM'd some users on here that have mentioned in the past having this scanner and will check other forums too.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much communication from Canon later and their final reply is that 'it should work' and that I should 'check the website regularly for any future updates'. Very helpful (not). However, they thank me for contacting Canon Services and Support and trust that the instruction given are of use to me. So that's all right then. No prizes for guessing what make of printer or scanner I won't be buying ever again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, another "satisfied" Canon user. Welcome to the club! Like I have stated before... Canon should stick to making cameras and leave the printer - scanner business to the professionals. :Angry:

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A further update to this fiasco...
Canon eventually agreed that their software IJ Scan Utility would not, in fact, work with my scanner but firmly reassured me that their MP Navigator program would. This was important to me as it has the ability to scan several photo's at a time, creating a .jpg for each one automatically. Guess what. I upgraded to El Capitan earlier today and MP Navigator won't run. I get a totally inaccurate error message that there is insufficient disk space. Given that I have 153Gb this is a nonsense of course. So that makes every single one of their statements concerning my scanner and their programmes wrong. Quite an achievement!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Have you tried deleting ALL your Canon scanning apps and scanning software, shutting down and booting up and starting over, and stick to the UK support site in case there are some differences.

And maybe with a new clean install, things may just work, but I wouldn't be surprised if El Cap'n insists you use a different method or app, and just maybe, Image Capture would work.

Here's hoping. I'm sticking with Mavericks 10.9.5 for a while more. At least most things I need work with it.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Image capture works, but it's very basic and doesn't have the features of MP Navigator eg dust and scratch removal, multiple imagining, gutter correction when scanning books... Luckily, I made a CCC clone before upgrading so will be going back to that. Blessing in disguise really as I don't find much, if anything, I actually like in El Capitan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I'm using a Lide 220 scanner with Canon's (downloaded) software and have to say I have no issues.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nickyr - which software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Sawday - this version

Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 17.00.13.png

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.