Canon IJ Scan Utility Issues

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks. That doesn't work for me. Have you tried MP navigator at all?

no. this worked straight out of the box so no pfaffing around luckily for me. I think this is their most basic scanner though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes indeed. Interestingly, on their websites Canon state that the 9000F is only supported to OSX 10.8 (UK and AUS and to 10.7 on US site) but have issued drivers up to 10.11. Odd that they obviously do not have faith in their own drivers.

Well, Mac OS 10.11 seems to be shown and supported at the Canon Canadian site and you could sure try a new clean install of it and we do like to share our Canadian resources. (Even if we do have to borrow some fuel to fly our jets in the mid-East!!!)
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/serviceDetail?m=load&directLink=Y&mid=4207B003&type=D&opt=1

Reaction score
Canon 9000F Mark II

So I have a 9000F Mark II, and when I use the Canon IJ Scan Utility, it creates a jpeg, but when I try to open it with Finder even, it says the file could not be opened and could be damaged. When trying to use Picasa to edit the image, it says "refining" indefinitely. I just upgraded to OS X El Capitan today. All other programs are working sucessfully. I tried the Canadian drivers referenced above, but same problem. Did I just lose my scanning ability?

I apologize - it works now that I installed these new drivers:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...-ii?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25

Last edited:
Reaction score
Info for High Sierra installations

Let me post some instructions for anyone who wanders across this discussion like I did.

As a Mac user installing this scanner on High Sierra, this was a horror show. First, to save time, let me tell you how to install this:
1) Take the included install disc, and fling it with prejudice into the trash. All it does is take you to a stupid Canon download page which turns out to only have stuff that is supposed to work on High Sierra, but does not.
2) Instead Go to https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...eries/canoscan-9000f?subtab=downloads-drivers and download both driver files, one is for the TWAIN driver, and that is required to let the MP Explorer utility to work. The other is a (proprietary?) driver. Install both.
3) Now download the MP Navigator utility, and install. There. You are done.
4) If you want another completely different Canon scanner utility, the IJ Scan Utility,
then go to this Canon Thai download page: http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0200482010.html download and install. It is not clear to me yet which utility is better and for what, they both appear to include a similar set of features.
5) Remember that disc you threw away? The only things it appears to do is have:
o links to Canon cloud-related fluff,
o a local manual to the IJ utility (as opposed to the web page the utility will take you to),
o a ScanGear tool which blows up during installation
o an MP Navigator which blows up when you try to run it (probably because its missing one of those two drivers we installed from elsewhere
o and a link to registering your product so that you can get an extension on your warrantee to (9?) months. Wow. I would've like to have sat in on the meeting where they decided a year was too much!

Let me add that I also had trouble when I used a 3rd party USB cable. Now maybe it was the cable's fault, but the facia of the scanner held the cable off just enough to prevent electrical contact, but not enough to be noticeable (it felt physically well-plugged-in). I had used my own longer cable because of reach.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
+1 for the Canon Thai download page. That's where i eventually found a drive that worked. The UK support thanked me for passing on this information to them but then quickly forgot about I think. Hoping I don't get these problems all over again when I get my new iMac in the the new year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.