Wi-Fi Extender to den - cabled or wireless options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - I have an Apple Extreme router (base station) purchased in 2013 - flat one w/ 802.11n - the device is in our 'computer room' (bedroom next to the den) and is cabled to our iMac; checking signal strength w/ my iPad & also my MBPro shows a usually 'poor' signal in the den, an adjacent room, e.g. the transmit rate on an iPad app drops in half when I move from next to the router to my den chair (less that 100 ft w/ a stud wall in-between) - also have an upgraded Roku device in the den attached to our HDTV, which occasionally needs to 're-buffer'.

Not sure that I really need to add some type of Wi-Fi extender but would appreciate some possibilities - of course, the first choice is wired vs. wireless - the latter might work w/ an inexpensive Wi-Fi extender plugged into AC in the hallway which is between the two rooms - not sure how much this would help w/o testing - certainly the cheapest route, but need the right one and would prefer as much P'n'p ease as possible.

Now the 'wired ethernet' option would be the best choice to improve transmission rate in the den, but more expensive and labor intensive - an ethernet RJ-45 jack is over a 1/2" in diameter (my biggest drill - would need to use a 3/4" spade bit to drill holes in the bedroom/den floors for the jack to fit through - what are my cable choices - cheapest, jack options for connection, cost & type of cable, e.g. CAT-5e should be fine). If I can get an ethernet cable from my Apple Extreme base station to the den, then would a simple Wi-Fi extender w/ an RJ-45 input be adequate or would another router as a bridge, such as the Apple Express be a better choice. Thanks for any comments or thoughts. Dave :)

P.S. the 100 ft CAT-5e cable (shown below) seems like an option - just would have to drill some BIG holes in the floor - are there ethernet cable connectors of a smaller diameter?
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 11.10.48 AM.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dave:

Take a look at Power Line WiFi adapters and how to setup a network with them. Means spending some $$ but might be something that you can employ more easily.

Here's one article that describes the system and compares the various adapters that are available.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave:

Take a look at Power Line WiFi adapters and how to setup a network with them. Means spending some $$ but might be something that you can employ more easily.

Here's one article that describes the system and compares the various adapters that are available.

Hi Chscag - yes, HomePlug! I know the technology but have never used the devices in the home - read the link and their top recommendation was the item shown below w/ AC pass-through - now after reading more, I could attach one adapter to my router and put one in my den which will permit a wired ethernet connection to a 'device' - of course, would still need a Wi-Fi extender or router to enhance the wireless strength in my den, but does avoid drilling holes in my floor! Thanks for the reminder - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 3.07.43 PM.png

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, somewhat surprised that others have not had issues w/ 'extending & improving' their Wi-Fi coverage in a home - so I'll continue showing the issue that others likely have encountered and ways to look at wireless signal strength between various rooms in your house.

First, simply hold down the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon in the top menu, which will present an expanded drop-down w/ MUCH more information about your wireless network (see first image below - I've blocked out my SSID); now by opening the 'Wireless Diagnostics' (arrow), a new dialog box will open w/ its own menu items top left - by selecting Window -> Performance, a 'real time' graph appears w/ three items - see second image below - this is quite useful; the top item is the transmit rate of my router, which is using 802.11n @ 2.4 GHz, Channel 11; the middle graph is the SNR, while the third is the RSSI (received signal strength vs. noise - difference is the middle graph) - looking at the middle graph, I walked from my den to my computer room next to the router - an impressive change in SNR is evident (above 40 is considered excellent), which is reflected in the widening between the green & blue lines in the lowest graph.

Obviously in my den, the SNR is poor (< 20), again easily seem in the lower graph w/ the two colored lines coming closer together - SO, the goal in my den is to make those two 'middle' graph portions appear similar in the den, as in the computer room - hope that others who may have solved this issue will 'chime in' w/ further comments and suggestions. Thanks - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 8.40.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 8.25.50 PM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
With the advent of home wifi on about everything instead of needing to be tethered to a desktop computer that we use to have sitting in the farthest corner of the house in the spare bedroom, folks need to look at having their ISP install service in a central locatation where they'll want to be using wifi.

I didn't do that years ago, so I ran 100' CAT 5e across the attic. Still have the router, printer and a Win box sitting at one end of the house with the modem's router covering that side and connected to a switch at the opposite end of the house with all my entertainment equipment hard wired and a Time Capsule in bridge mode covering that side of the house. I run a separate network at each end of the house and switch between them when I move around.

Reaction score
Not sure that I really need to add some type of Wi-Fi extender but would appreciate some possibilities

This is a really excellent deal/solution available currently:

Logitech HD Powerline 200a
Turns any existing power outlet into an HD-ready Internet connection
Simple plug-and-play setup extends your home network to any room.
Uses HomePlug AV networking technology over existing electrical wiring.
Transmits data up to 200 Mbps.

From OWC ($25) (Usually $140)
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Logitech/930000131/?APC=READERSPC&Source=Blast15Dec15

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 13" MBP, 16GB, 512G, 2011 13" MBP, 8GB, 256GB; 2012 Mini, 8GB, 128GB SSD, 500 GB HD, IPAD II
Hi Dave

Three suggestions
1. Yes you can extend a WiFi network very nicely by running a wire, and installing an Airport Express.
It is not the easiest to config. but it works nicely when done.
When running cable, you can run a cable through a smaller hole and put the ends on after the run.
That is intimidating, but after the first 2, it is easy.
2. I personally jump through hoops to avoid streaming video wirelessly. I have never had performance issues with
my WiFi network, and I do believe that is one of the reasons. I very often have two devices (at times 4) streaming video
over my ethernet network, along with 15 wireless devices connected to the internet through an Apple extreme. This
can cost some money, depending on how many drops you need.
3. I hope the experience you quoted is with a 2.4 ghz connection? The 5 ghz signals can be easily obstructed, and go to "poor" quickly.

I have not used powerline networking, I have just observed that it seems like people discussing that on technical forums, have trouble with it.
I have used MOCA networking, that is quite high performance and works well for distributing video which requires higher bandwidths. It basically
uses a coax,which may already be in place, for the twisted pair Cat5/Cat6, RJ45 ended cable.

Good Luck
John

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Guys for the additional comments:

@ Bobtomay - we live in a 2400 sq. ft. ranch-style house w/ the 'computer room' (spare bedroom) pretty much in the middle - we get Wi-Fi at either end, just that the signals are as stated; when I'm on the porch (2 rooms away), the signal is less than shown in the den but still works fine in that location.

@ Randy - thanks for another 'thumbs up' for HomePlug and the deal @ OWC is certainly unbeatable with 4.6/5* average reviews - I'm assuming Logitech is D/C this model? But for $25, how can one lose - just need to add some more items - ;)

@ John - as stated in my post, the Extreme router is set to automatic and uses the 2.4 GHz band (Channel 11 at the time of testing) - the 5 GHz band always seems to provide a weaker signal in the other rooms. My situation is not as complicated as yours - we have about a dozen devices that use the Wi-Fi network and two Rokus, so wife & I might be streaming two different programs at once. I could easily run ethernet cable under the floors in the basement (I've strung audio cable from my den to the living room, so already have a bunch of holes in the floor), but not sure I want to buy an ethernet crimping set for just two connections, likely would not use again.

All comments seem to be favoring a try of HomePlug - could then do a cabled ethernet connection to my den Roku (which is a new one) at least and live w/ the Wi-Fi signal to my laptop? Also could decide on some 'Wi-Fi Extender' but not sure that I want to fuss w/ signing onto different networks (assume I could just bridge and use the same SSID?).

Finally, I was thinking of a new Extreme w/ 802.11ac, but both my new Roku and MBPro can only receive 802.11n, so not an option. Well just thinking 'out loud' here - I can certainly 'survive' w/ my current setup - all seems to work, just get occasionally buffering on my Roku streaming - thanks again for all of the help. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.