Please, how can i change the Apple ID on an iPhone ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi all, i have a good friend who i have converted from Windows, which wasnt easy !!

He has had a Mac Book Pro for quite a while now, then his Wife got an iPad and they were both very happy.

NOW he an iPhone 4S as well, but the trouble is, he has given it a different Apple ID to the other two devices in the same household !!.

This morning i was given the job of trying to change the Apple ID on his iPhone to be the same as the MBP and the iPad.

I COULDNT DO IT !!! , i did get a message very briefly, saying that ID cannot be used on two devices ?, which totally confused me !.

Please can someone help. Primarily he would like to share his photos on the other two devices .

Tim

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi timmy

There are others here with far greater experience than I; but to start the ball rolling:

would I be correct in thinking that your friend wants all 3 devices to share everything between them using one Apple ID? That's how I've read it anyway.

One option up for consideration is to treat his iPhone as if he were going to sell it. In other words sign out of everything, and wipe everything by restoring to factory settings. So that, in effect, when he powers up, he gets the welcome screen. He treats himself as the new owner. Signs in using the "family" Apple ID and syncs his phone via iCloud thereby getting his calendars, contacts, mail & so on. This assumes that the other 2 devices are syncing via iCloud. Any apps installed or purchased under the "old" ID would have to be repurchased because the iPhone would be treated as new; but apps on the other 2 family devices should download to the iPhone just fine.

These represent my thoughts, but I would perhaps wait for other, more erudite, responses in case my solution has overlooked any obstacles.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
Hi timmy
would I be correct in thinking that your friend wants all 3 devices to share everything between them using one Apple ID?
Ian

I have discovered it should be an easy matter of Signing out of the old ID, and signing in with the new ID :Mischievous:

Tim

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Tim

I'm really pleased for you and your friends. If it turns out to be that straightforward, good on you.

My post was in response to your original comment:
This morning i was given the job of trying to change the Apple ID on his iPhone to be the same as the MBP and the iPad.

I COULDNT DO IT !!!

Hopefully, now you can! Go for it.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.