iTunes Keeps Popping up asking about port 443?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello All - in the last week or so, I am intermittently seeing the iTunes icon jump in the dock - clicking brings up the dialog screen shown below - I've never seen this before - I'm on El Capitan 11.1 w/ an AirPort Extreme router - I also have the OS's firewall turned on, but have no restrictions set for iTunes - I've looked into the AirPort Utility and my network settings and see nothing about this port.

Once I click the dialog box, I have no problem entering the iTunes store nor the App store. I've not really touched w/ these settings in recent months - assume that this is an Apple problem and hopefully will be resolved quickly? Any others observing this behavior and/or thoughts. Thanks - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 10.21.12 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Port 443 is usually for secure SSL connections. Maybe that is how apple connects to the store. Since it looks like you can get through I would think that it is a bad connection through your isp? Btw, Are you running the latest hardware? Comcast just changed to docsis 3 equipment and we were having a lot of troubles while we were using docsis 2.0 equipment. A quick trip to best buy fixed that.

C

chas_m

Just turn off the software firewall. Your router has a hardware firewall, so the two are likely conflicting. Unless you routinely use public hotspots, there is no need for the software firewall at all.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just turn off the software firewall. Your router has a hardware firewall, so the two are likely conflicting. Unless you routinely use public hotspots, there is no need for the software firewall at all.

Hi Chas_m - well, you know that we've had a number of threads in this forum w/ members on either side of that argument, i.e. the router has a firewall, so why use the one in OS X - do conflicts arise? I believe the arguments for and against were a 'draw' - I've had both on for 2 years and have never seen that popup.

As to the previous post, I did call my ISP's (Time-Warner) tech support and their suggestion was to just replace the 'older' modem, so went to the local T-W store in our mall and obtained a new replacement (Motorola-Arris DOCSIS 3.0) - activated in the store and was a simple plug 'n' play at home. My DL speeds are a little faster, about 25 Mbps which is fine for my 'turbo' plan (i.e. 20 Mbps). I'll see over the next few days if the iTunes Port 443 popup continues - if not, then maybe the old modem was responsible? I also had to reboot the previous one a couple times a week, so hope that situation will be corrected. NOW, if I still see that popup, then off goes the OS X firewall to test.

BTW, I'm currently reading Pogue's new 'Missing Manual' on El Capitan and he (as in his previous OS X MMs) states that if your computer is behind a router's firewall, there is no need to have the software one activated - SO, back to the same discussion. Dave :)

P.S. just to emphasize, for those taking their OS X machines out from behind a router firewall, then enable the firewall in OS X, as suggested by Chas_m.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dave,

If you're in the mood for checking the security or vulnerability of your Mac with/without OS X Firewall, give this Link a shot: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

It will deliberately challenge your system; modem only and modem + Firewall. Apart from the reassurance you are likely to gain, the background material is worth reading.

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave,

If you're in the mood for checking the security or vulnerability of your Mac with/without OS X Firewall, give this Link a shot: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

It will deliberately challenge your system; modem only and modem + Firewall. Apart from the reassurance you are likely to gain, the background material is worth reading.

Hi Ian - Steve Gibson is one of my early computer heroes - I was on Windows for decades (when employed) and the website you linked was bookmarked on all of my PCs - I constantly went and tested my firewalls. And I've actually done the same several times on my MBPro w/ the OS X firewall both ON or OFF - the results are the same for me (see the first two screen captures below - I've blanked out a portion of my IP address), so I suspect the router firewall is 'overriding' the software one, i.e. likely redundant - NOW, I could test my Macs w/o the AirPort router, but just don't feel the need - call me lazy!

Now looking @ those GRC captures, all of my ports are closed (vast majority) or in stealth mode, but my testing failed mainly because Gibson could ping my IP address - how important is this if your ports are closed - not sure? I could go into the advanced options of the Apple Firewall (3rd screen capture - arrow), and enable 'Stealth Mode' and retest on GRC (which I've not tried yet?), however, how would that setting affect my internet browsing - don't want to be in a cave w/ no outlet - ;) Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.10.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.16.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.24.56 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ah, good old Gibson Research "Shields Up". Great firewall test. I used to love reading Gibson's columns when he was writing and commenting for "Info World".

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, good old Gibson Research "Shields Up". Great firewall test. I used to love reading Gibson's columns when he was writing and commenting for "Info World".

Another Fanboy - cheers! :D Found the image below on the GRC website - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-09 at 7.46.44 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Leo and Steve together! Leo used to have a question and answer plus an information program concerning computers (mostly Windows stuff) that he did on radio. I wonder what he's doing now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Dave - are you still getting these pop ups?

I started getting them immediately after installing 10.11.2 and it is present with the software firewall both off or on. So I'm convinced it's something in the software update. Think I'll try the combo update overnight.

I'm not at home at the moment (or for the next week or so) and am connecting to the internet via my sister's BT router, not my usual Airport Extreme.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave - are you still getting these pop ups?

I started getting them immediately after installing 10.11.2 and it is present with the software firewall both off or on. So I'm convinced it's something in the software update. Think I'll try the combo update overnight.

I'm not at home at the moment (or for the next week or so) and am connecting to the internet via my sister's BT router, not my usual Airport Extreme.

Hi Nick - after installing the new TW modem yesterday, I did not see the popups - BUT, this morning in logging onto my MBPro, several of the same port 443 popups occurred - not convinced that turning off the OS X firewall would help and your comments (and several that I've seen on google searches) suggests the same. I am currently on 10.11.1 (been updating our iOS devices to 9.2), but seems for you going to 11.2, the issue persists. This is likely an Apple/iTunes problem that they need to address - I've used both of my firewalls ON for 2 years w/o ever seeing that particular popup. Thanks for your confirmation and problem solving attempts. Dave :)

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Coincidence or connection. Dave gets pop-up on 10.11.1. Nickyr gets it after update to 10.11.2. Both use Airport Extreme router. Any chance that's the problem? Need a software update for it? Just an idea.

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coincidence or connection. Dave gets pop-up on 10.11.1. Nickyr gets it after update to 10.11.2. Both use Airport Extreme router. Any chance that's the problem? Need a software update for it? Just an idea.

Hi Ian - I find the AirPort Utility limited after years of using browser-based management on non-Apple routers - just took a look at my AirPort Extreme settings and cannot seem to find an option to see port listings nor even to upgrade the firmware; however, the version number was available (v. 7.6.4) - looking on Apple HERE (screen capture below), seems like the router is using the same firmware - maybe others w/ more experience in making adjustments on these Apple routers can 'chime in' - for me, the situation started after the 10.11.x upgrade and seems not corrected w/ the newest one, i.e. 10.11.2, according to Nick - annoying. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 11.16.19 AM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, much of this is over my head. I checked my Extreme and it is version 7.7.3.

I have to add that my Extreme is NOT my main router, which is BTHomeHub (ISP provider in UK). The Extreme is ethernet-connected to the BT router to give me better WiFi coverage in my home.

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave, much of this is over my head. I checked my Extreme and it is version 7.7.3.

I have to add that my Extreme is NOT my main router, which is BTHomeHub (ISP provider in UK). The Extreme is ethernet-connected to the BT router to give me better WiFi coverage in my home.

Hi again Ian - my model is from 2013 and has the flat form footprint - if you have a newer 'cylindrical' model w/ 802.11ac, then that is Apple's 6th generation (mine is a 5th) and has the version you mention - from the chart below, I don't think my Extreme can be upgraded, but not sure - I'm obviously new to these Apple routers, so someone else will need to 'chime in' to help - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 12.28.33 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Hi Ian

I'm not currently using my AE but a BT router. I've been using it for about a week with no problem. Upgraded to 10.11.2 this morning and immediately had the problem.

Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave

It turns out that you are not alone. Just this evening (UK time) TidBITS issued a statement about this and other irritations. Link: http://tidbits.com/article/16146

They, nor anyone else, offers a solution....yet. Consensus view is it may, or may not of course, be an Apple server problem.

Ian

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave

It turns out that you are not alone. Just this evening (UK time) TidBITS issued a statement about this and other irritations. Link: http://tidbits.com/article/16146

They, nor anyone else, offers a solution....yet. Consensus view is it may, or may not of course, be an Apple server problem.

Thanks Ian - I didn't think that Nick & I were alone w/ this issue - popped up again when I awoke my laptop from sleep (possible relationship?) - I turned off my OS X firewall and will test but doubt that will make a difference - I'll report back - Dave :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - back home and reconnected to my Airport Extreme - absolutely no issues with iTunes and port 443.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - back home and reconnected to my Airport Extreme - absolutely no issues with iTunes and port 443.

Hi Nick - I turned off the OS X firewall and had no problems; then updated to 10.11.2 a few days ago and for a test turned the firewall back on - I've had no issues either way - my feeling is that this was an iTunes and/or Apple server problem that has been resolved - I'll keep my firewall on just to further check. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.