• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PC Vista-Ready?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Hello, I built a PC at Christmas time 2005, so only a few months ago. I am wondering if, without much lag, slow response time, and what-not, my PC is capable of running Windows Vista (maybe not FULLY featured(AERO-GLASS turned off))? Here are my PC Specs:
Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHz EM64T 2mb L2 cache HT enabled
1 Gigabyte RAM
I have built in graphics at the moment but I AM going to get a PCI video card, either soon, or right around Vista's relase (to make sure it is fully capable of working well) and maybe then I COULD run Vista with some graphical goddies turned on.
200 Gigabyte Hard Drive
Yea, thats the basic specs if you need any more details, just post the queston and I will answer it as soon as I see it.
Thanks!

EDIT: My Motherboard is: ECS RS400-A with built in ATI Radeon XPRESS 200. I was wondering if these graphics are good enough to even run Vista AT ALL (under classic or XP mode) most likely Classic if it is available. Thanks for any help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It will fine as far as the bit I know about Vista but ditch the OnBoard graphics like you said. Get the best graphics card you can. It should run fine otherwise.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
Thanks for the quick reply like that! Yea, thanks for the suggestion I'll do that fairly soon! All right then! Thanks again! Do you think with the PCI graphics card I could be able to run ALL the Eye-Candy elements? And use Vista's FULL graphical power?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.