Boot Camp! Apple releases for Win XP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
As you probably, or should, know by now is that Apple has release a BETA of Boot Camp, allowing you to install and daul boot with Windows XP on Intel macs only. They include a disk image of allt he needed drivers so far.

This is for a new feature of the upcoming Leopard OS.

More info and download at:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

I just need to find a SP2 disk to get started!

L

lil

An interesting thing indeed.

FWIW—I think this is a very good thing.

That said all my Windows needs (namely my work's database system and Crystal Reports) are all catered for through remote desktop (with rdesktop); so for me truly booting XP is an unnecessary as our system works through remote terminal servers anyway.

At home however, I have no need to use Windows personally—except for a database I wrote for a previous employer, but that hasn't gone wrong (touch wood) yet so it shouldn't ever be an issue.

Frankly though—excellent news; and something that should really get those peeps in the market for a new machine to really consider a Macintosh.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I downloaded boot camp but when I open it it says to update my computers firmware. I checked soft updates and it says my computer is up to date. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Now there's no reason for anyone to put off buying/trying a Mac. Surely, this will make the Mac the most versatile machine out there. I'm guessing it wasn't an easy decision for Apple to make, but I feel confident this wil pay off in a big way for them.

Mark

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am totally for Boot Camp. I have a friend who says it's the Spawn of SATAN and if you need to run any Windows Apps even for a Job, quit the job and that all the Mac is now is a Apple PC.

Sorry, there are so many who need to run at least a few windows apps and this way they can have one machine and do all their work. I think the idea is great. I have more than one machine but a lot of people can not either afford it or have the room for a bunch of computers. I just don't want to see Apple release OSX on the PC. That might hurt them. So many cheep PC's around.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I agree also. I think having both would make this machine even more better. There are just some programs (like MSN Messenger with all the feautres) that I just miss haha.

The downside, using XP, you are again suspectable to virsues and all that great stuff that tags along.

Reaction score
While it's great from a consumer stand point, I don't see much use for it myself, seeing as I'm a recent Mac convert - just having to use Windows at my school makes me cringe. But if you're a techie or you absolutely have to use Windows, it makes sense. That, and if you hate OS X (god forbid) and love windows (ditto), mac makes some of the prettiest little boxes/all-in-ones/laptops of all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
What Idiot wants to run Windows if you have a Mac running tiger. Sounds real Dumbass to me.................

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If I hated OSX I would just get a much cheeper PC. I love OSX to death, but there are times when doing work for others it would be very important to have Windows XP there. Hard to test Windows stuff on OSX when doing in field repair on someones windows box.

To me the whole thing is NEED. Sometimes with what I do I NEED a windows machine around. If I did not, I would never mess with it. There are Games I like also but that is another issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
firmware question: it told me to shut down the computer then hold the power button down until the power light indicator flashed repeatedly then the update would begin. i held the power button down and the light flashed "repeatedly", after that a high pitched beep came from the computer and then OSX just started, no update. Is this bad/what am i doing wrong?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
The beep is normal. After you held it in until flashing a screen should have appeared where it was loading, then it restarts and laods back up to where you just click OK.

Try the process again, open the update and click Shut Down...wait and then hold in the power for a good few seconds until flashing...

Video from cNet showing XP on mac and start up choosing:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6484134.html

It also says that XP ran faster than Dell's and Gateways!

D

djmitch

Cool! This means that when I get a Mactel someday I'll finally be able to play those Window$ games I miss most. Actually, gaming options are the ONLY thing I miss about Window$ - I'll stick with OS X for everything else, particularly surfing the net and e-mails. The only thing I'll have to get over is deciding whether or not to line ol' Bill's pockets more by having to buy a copy of Window$ XPee.

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
i was thinking of buying a new copy of Windows XP, because it would save me a whole lot of time, by not having to use 2 computers, and have 2 OS's on one small best desktop computer, thats very compact!~

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Yeah I was trying to get a SP2 disk from someone to borrow, I would buy one but thats in the $100 range just to test in BETA stage. Nah. I will keep looking.

M

more151please

i have tried it

i tried it last night... i did not have SP2, just the first XP disk that i had laying around. IT did work quite well. However, not sure if if was just me but, i could only get the screen to be like 1/2 or 1/3 being used. It was like the widescreen movie channels (using a Samsung 215TW monitor). But for the working aspect (OS) it ran really fast, compared to that of virtual PC i tried running on my powerbook g4 while back. It was a world of difference. I too love OSX, but there are certain things i like about XP too... used to be windows user about 3 years ago. I do look forward to advancements to the beta software and the new OS in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
earltash said:
What Idiot wants to run Windows if you have a Mac running tiger. Sounds real Dumbass to me.................

Is that even English?

H

Harryc

more151please said:
i tried it last night... i did not have SP2, just the first XP disk that i had laying around. IT did work quite well. However, not sure if if was just me but, i could only get the screen to be like 1/2 or 1/3 being used. It was like the widescreen movie channels (using a Samsung 215TW monitor). But for the working aspect (OS) it ran really fast, compared to that of virtual PC i tried running on my powerbook g4 while back. It was a world of difference. I too love OSX, but there are certain things i like about XP too... used to be windows user about 3 years ago. I do look forward to advancements to the beta software and the new OS in general.
Take my word for it, you need XP with SP2 slipstreamed to do a proper job with Boot Camp. I used this howto and it worked for me.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Here's the result, linked below ... (You're seeing side by side desktops because I am spanning to a 19" LCD.) Note the spyware removal tools and NAV ;).

Boot Camp Screenshot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
ok so I went through the steps only to find out my cd key is invalid. My friend is coming over later tonight to redo the whole process with a valid copy of xp. My mac is still at the windows setup and I cant exit it. To get back to macOS and then install windows later, should I just turn off the computer?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.