• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
onion_imagearticle1358.frontpage_thumbnail.jpg

YES

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I fear MacOS will lose out in the long run.

Why make Mac apps if the software creators can get away with making only a Windows app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Apples stock rose 10% after the release of Boot Camp.

This ultimatly should boost up their computer sales, why not get a Mac with OSX and XP instead of a PC with just XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I successfully loaded XP Pro on my iMac yesterday. It runs like a champ, faster than my two year old higher spec'ed Dell box. This is a dream come true and has convinced me to go the way of a Macbook. They power of Windows with the design of Apple, a great combination.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Are there any advantages running Windows on an apple computer over a PC?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
digital john said:
Are there any advantages running Windows on an apple computer over a PC?

Apple computers ARE PCs, in fact now that they are Intel powered they are no different hardware wise from similar Dell offerings.

The only real difference is that they use EFI rather than the old BIOS so they will boot faster.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Amen-Moses said:
Apple computers ARE PCs, in fact now that they are Intel powered they are no different hardware wise from similar Dell offerings.

The only real difference is that they use EFI rather than the old BIOS so they will boot faster.

Amen-Moses

Yea thats what I thought...Just all the excitement made me wonder if I was missing something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
I can't WAIT to put XP on my Intel iMac... I'll report back by sunday with findings...

U

UncSki1218

advantages of windows on apple:

1. the macs look cooler
2. on an apple u can have osx and windows, but on a pc u can only have windows
3. windows boots faster on an apple because of EFI instead of BIOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Does anyone know if wireless keybaord/mouse work on XP *after* the installation? The FAQ only says that the wireless key/mouse will not work duriing the installation of win xp....

C

curious

How to switch back & forth?

Anyone know how difficult it is to switch back & forth, between Mac OS and Windows XP?

Is it as easy as clicking on something? Or do you have to shut down one OS, then re-boot or re-start the computer to get to the other OS?

How long does it take to go from one OS to the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5
curious said:
Anyone know how difficult it is to switch back & forth, between Mac OS and Windows XP?

Is it as easy as clicking on something? Or do you have to shut down one OS, then re-boot or re-start the computer to get to the other OS?

How long does it take to go from one OS to the other?
It takes about 30 seconds from start to a different desktop. You hold the alt key during boot andyou can choose which os you want. It is smoking fast in windows. I have been playing Half Life 2 and it's sick how fast this machine is. Maxed out settings on everything and I cant get it to lag! Awesome move Apple!

S

Santos

It's amazing how many Mac users enjoy windows. People are just going to buy apples to install windows. POINTLESS! Who cares if it runs faster, I just can't wait for those switchers to catch the first major virus a Mac has ever seen and destroy their machine. For those whose lives have just been made happier, congrats, but for the Mac world, in my opinion, it's the wrong way to go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
I agree with Santos. What is SO great about windows? NOthing. It takes up tons of resources compared to OS X. plus its just seems pointless to install on a mac. Whats next? OS X on a Dell Machine, or an IBM machine? Etc? I say just create programs that run on BOTH systems rather than importing the systems themselves.

K

Kokopelli

Santos said:
It's amazing how many Mac users enjoy windows. People are just going to buy apples to install windows. POINTLESS! Who cares if it runs faster, I just can't wait for those switchers to catch the first major virus a Mac has ever seen and destroy their machine. For those whose lives have just been made happier, congrats, but for the Mac world, in my opinion, it's the wrong way to go!

As a double dipper I am less sure. I need windows for my day job but distinctly prefer OS X. Right now I carry two laptops, my PB which I do most of my work on, and my ThinkPad on which I do my windows work. Sure, a Windows virus could potentially damage both OSes, but that reflects negatively on Windows, not OS X. If that happened once too often to a Apple user which OS do you think they are more likely to stick with?

I can see this coming from two (and a half) directions. In a pithy statement it is Apple throwing in the towel or it is Apple throwing down the gauntlet.

The first possibility is that Steve Jobs, and by extension Apple, is looking to transition into a seller of Windows computers. i.e. becoming a pure hardware company. This is not an unbelievable reason. Apple has always been good at innovative design and lateral thinking even if their revision A hardware is usually glitchy. ;) While most computer manufacturers "play it safe" and follow the same basic mold, Apple takes the road less travelled. Things like the mini and the iMac are computers you are unlikely to see from another mainstream computer manufacturer first. Even the shuttle, despite it's great form factor, is a niche market. So even without OS X, Apple distinguishes itself from the pack.

This is not why i think Apple came out with boot Camp though.

I am leaning towards the second possibility. That Steve jobs, and by extension Apple, in unafraid of a comparison of OS X and Windows on the same hardware. I am going to make some lifelong enemies here and say SK should be afraid. OS X is in my opinion better, but it is not the OS that so many have entrenched in thier habits. For the 30 something market, who have been using windows for 20 years and by gosh know it, switching to OS X is a leap of faith. It is different and so it requires work. Computer users don't want to work at using their computer, they just want to get what they need done. Once you learn OS X this is easy for most general computing uses, but you have to relearn first. This is the market that I would classify as the swing market. If Apple can convince 2% of that market they will have a resounding success. I think the target market is the young bucks, 14-20 something power users, who are a lot less engrained in their ways. If Apple can convince this crowd to not only buy a Mac, but to use OS X, then it is a victory for Apple against the Dells of the world. While this may take a bit away from MS as well, it is not that big a deal yet, it will take a decade with a string of consistent succeses for Apple to truly dent MS. I see many bloggers saying the crosshairs are on MS, I disagree. I think by this move Apple is showing that they do not see MS as the competition but the MS based PC. It is clear the see Windows as inferior (or at least market it that way) but they are not denying that it is wanted by the hardware consumers.

And the half. If Apple sells a Mac and the user decides she wants to use it just for windows Apple still wins. They have sold a computer and a copy of OS X. It the users decides that she likes OS X more than Windows than Apple wins twice, with the upgrades and software market. Either way though Apple wins by selling the hardware.

So riddle me this. Do you think there will be a reseller market who will sell you a Mac with Windows preinstalled and supported much like YDL on the PPC Macs? I think it inevitable and I will go even farther and say it would be welcomed by Apple. If said company can find a way to provide true tier 1 support they stand a chance at getting into some very lucrative markets.

The ultimate irony is I am in no rush to dual boot my Mac even if I had a Intel based MBP. It is easier for me to work with certain functions and aspects of my job being on separate systems. For 95% of the world though there is little reason to need to work on 2 or more computers at the same time. I supose I will get a MBP around the time 10.5 comes out, but I am in no rush.

Reaction score
techster82 said:
I successfully loaded XP Pro on my iMac yesterday. It runs like a champ, faster than my two year old higher spec'ed Dell box. This is a dream come true and has convinced me to go the way of a Macbook. They power of Windows with the design of Apple, a great combination.

Your making no sense>
How can your 2 year old Dell be a higher spec then the LATEST Intel CPU Mac?

S

Santos

I agree with you of about 99% of this "book" you wrote. (just throwing in some humor) But I do see, in the future, Macs being sold with Windows preinstalled, but as an option. But otherwise, I see where you are coming from.

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
The reason people like it is because so many computer out today have HUGE hard drives, which can fit alot of things. Whats not to love about dual boot? 1 less computer, no more CPU Box, more compact. (and correct me if iam wrong, i didnt get a windows install cd when i bought my Windows XP, how could i get it? can i ask them if they could give me one?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.