• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Boot Camp

Reaction score
Well the main issue here if you think about it, is the general workplace, (skeptical switchers) and gamers. Many companies have Windows-run programs for manufacturing or anything regarding their businesses. I myself am going to study architecture, and I know that the main "CAD program" for architects is not available for Mac. This would be a great asset to me when I get an Intel run Mac. Also many people I know now have no reason to get a dell/hp/compaq/etc. now that Macs are quite successful at running both os’. I dare say Intel-run-Macs are amongst the best computers as it is. Many gamers would never get a Mac because of the limited game library. I don't know much about gaming, but from what I've heard, Windows games on Mac doesn’t seem to run with many problems. Prospective buyers now have the clincher in my opinion...

Also, the statement regarding how Macs will come pre-installed with windows...I don't think it'll necessarily happen...Apple doesn't have any reason to. People that want to do this can, and those that opt not to, don't have to.

Another thing, Windows will still be attacked with viruses, spyware...that "destruction" won't affect the Mac os’ partition of the hard drive, leading me to believe that some people may realize Mac’s positives and potential first hand...

Remember, a Mac will always be a Mac...

I dunno, just speculation... I do value everyone’s opinion though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
so far i have XP Pro running on my mac mini, going like a champ but not quite as well as it did on my old system. suddenly all my old MS based software has life again! :spook:

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
vbr2 said:
Well the main issue here if you think about it is the general workplace, skeptical switchers and gamers. Many companies have windows run programs for manufacturing or anything regarding their business specifically. I myself am going to study architecture, and I know the main CAD program in use is not available for Mac. This would be a great asset to me. Also many people I know have no reason to get any other pc now that Macs are quite successful at running both os’. Many gamers would never get a Mac. I don't know much about gaming, but from what I've heard, Windows on Mac doesn’t seem to run with many problems. These prospective buyers now have the clincher in my opinion...

Also, the statement regarding how Macs will come pre-installed with windows...I don't think it'll necessarily happen...

Another thing, Windows will still be attacked with viruses, spyware...that "destruction" won't affect the Mac os’ partition of the hard drive, leading me to believe that some people may realize Mac’s positives and potential first hand...

I dunno, just speculation... I do value everyone’s opinion though...

Well they did say somewere on Apple's website that Boot Camp Shouldnt be used if you have valubale information, because its stll beta. And i tink they said it will be a feature in Leopard, not Windows installed, how could they do that? they will probably have it installed into the system like bluetooth comes installed.

And when i try to make recovery Cd's on my HP Pavillion it says i need 2 DVD's or 9 CD's. While in the instructions you're supposed to have 1 CD with Windows XP (Home or Professional) and SP2 installed.

Reaction score
biggyme13 said:
Well they did say somewere on Apple's website that Boot Camp Shouldnt be used if you have valubale information, because its stll beta. And i tink they said it will be a feature in Leopard, not Windows installed, how could they do that? they will probably have it installed into the system like bluetooth comes installed.

I read this too. I think they plan on implementing them pre-installed with the final version of Boot Camp...

I don't have an Intel Mac so I couldn't tell you about how to set it up other than what I've read, sorry.

But I do think this is a good thing...I understand why you guys are against this, but remember, we're in good hands with Apple...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
so a friend of mine installed bootcamp. installed windows. booted up. plugged in his webcam....

BAM...blue screen of death (BSOD) right then and there.....

that is all i have to say about booting windows on a mac.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
*ahem*

That's booting Window$ on any machine...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coach_z said:
so a friend of mine installed bootcamp. installed windows. booted up. plugged in his webcam....

-chris

I hope this does not make anyone mad but I have to do it.....

Hahahahhahahahahahaha!!!

Thanks Coach for the good laugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
i think this is a great option for people who need windows for certain programs. it's been a few weeks since i switched and bought my imac. i won't say i've regretted it, but i have had short moments of doubt. i had been watching the hackers trying to dual boot, but i was waiting until it was easier. now that apple is supporting it i'm definitely going to do it. now i can play games. :)

Reaction score
biggyme13 said:

And when i try to make recovery Cd's on my HP Pavillion it says i need 2 DVD's or 9 CD's. While in the instructions you're supposed to have 1 CD with Windows XP (Home or Professional) and SP2 installed.

That's because HP Pavillions make recovery CD's wth all sorts of backp, loads of unwanted software and tools and really stuff you don't need, plus images of your home folder (my documents) and so on.

You need the recovery disc that came with the box, or ask HP to send you one. They will.

Reaction score
I tried to do boot camp and when i went to the partition size and tried to make the partition.
It come up with a error saying my hard drive needed to be repaired and to put the mac osx installation disk and use repair disc.

But when i put the mac osx disc in i dont know how to get to the utilities and it just wants to install mac osx clean install or a differant install where it leave you old files there.

how do i repair the disc?
i tried to repair permisions that dont work.
When i try to verify it comes up with a error.

so how do i repair the disc from the mac osx utility disc?

Reaction score
All you need to do is when you click ok which is the first step on the disc reinstallation you can go to the top of the window much like in OSX and select utilities, from the drop down select the required disk utility and run repair, i learnt the hard way about this by formating my hd and reinstalling.

Hope this helps

M

MJGUK

Well I personally don't mind this development, providing that it doesn't have any seriously negative effects on OS X.

I moved to Mac for the OS......And yes the computers are very attractive and well built, but I essentially moved for the Operating System which I noticed to be far more advanced than Windows and that turned out to be very true, in my experience.

So YES, this is probably a good move for Apple as a business, it probably WILL encourage more Switchers and assuming Apple use Bootcamp as a way of enticing those potential switchers and accommodating people who need to use Windows on that odd occasion, I see this as a very positive development for Macs.

My fear is that it will affect OS X and it's future development, but I really hope this isn't the case.
OS X is in my view, the main reason that many people buy Apple Computers and if that were to suddenly become a non-factor....Whilst some people would be likely to still purchase the machines for their looks, build and so on.....I believe in the long run this would move to reduce overall sales.

I really hope Apple, Steve and whoever else solidly understands that OS X is a GREAT and HUGE advertisement for Macs, it is the heart of Macs and in order to capitalise on these potential new switchers with the aid of Boot Camp, they need to continue to develop Mac OS X as progressively as they have for many years now.

Reaction score
Smartz said:
All you need to do is when you click ok which is the first step on the disc reinstallation you can go to the top of the window much like in OSX and select utilities, from the drop down select the required disk utility and run repair, i learnt the hard way about this by formating my hd and reinstalling.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much.

Also if Apple releases Macs with both Windows and Osx, there is no more excuse to buy a PC like Dell or what ever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
I'm selling my PC next week to fund a Intel mini, no need for my huge behemoth anymore! Yahoo!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
coach_z said:

-chris

You people are crazy haha...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
Nice little editorial I read in The New York Times

Editorial
Windows on Apple
Published: April 7, 2006
Everyone saw it coming. First, Apple chose Intel, synonymous with Microsoft, to make chips for a new line of personal computers. Now Apple has announced Boot Camp, which will allow some versions of Windows to run more or less natively on an Apple machine. How you feel about this depends very much on whether you're a Windows or an Apple person.

From one angle, Boot Camp looks like a sensible effort to expand Apple's slice of the personal computer market. So far, switching from a Windows desktop to a much sleeker iMac has meant abandoning Windows for Apple's Mac OS X operating system. That means giving up some highly specialized applications for which there is no Apple equivalent. For better or worse, Apple has never quite been able to destroy the preconception that Windows belongs to business in roughly the same way that Apple belongs to the arts. An Apple computer that can run Windows will do away with such distinctions.

Apple people do love their hardware. But the soul of the machine is still the operating system. And most people who switch from Windows to Mac OS X do so not merely for the pleasure of owning Apple hardware. (An iPod would do, after all.) They switch because, so far, Apple's Unix-based operating system has been far more stable than Windows — as clean and elegant as the product design for which Apple is noted.

So the prospect of Boot Camp raises two very different scenarios. Windows users will buy Apple machines to run Windows. Or they may try out Apple's operating system just for the fun of it and get hooked.

All well and good. Still, serious Apple users who are very worried about letting Microsoft into their Windows-free environment can take comfort in the fact that Apple will allow Windows into its computers, but will not actually support it. It will merely be the ghost in the machine.

Reaction score
Your Startup disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up your startup disk and use Disk Utility to format your startup disk at a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the startup disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

How do I go about doing this in Disk Utility? I opened up disk utility and could not figure it out.

Thanks!

Smesh

E

Ex_PC_Puke

From CNet - Interesting take on Boot Camp

Also - in my career at Intel - After being part of the team debugging the first Pentium processor (successor to the 486 around '92 - '93) -- I and several others were given pagers one weekend and told to be on call as Apple may want to do a Boot and benchmark testing on our prototype Pentium board ... never got the call - at leat the article exlpian why :spook:

Perspective: Dare I say this aloud? Boot Camp is a gimmick

Some folks would have liked nothing better than to marry the Macintosh off to the PC world right from the start.

In 1985 Dayna Communications came out with something it called the MacCharlie. This contraption was an expansion box that fit around the Mac so you could run PC and Mac software. The PR at the time trumpeted how users could now enjoy the best of both worlds. But it was an expensive gimmick that caused the system to run like molasses. Even worse, it cost more than a thousand dollars.

Third-party vendors came up with software emulators that marked a considerable step up in terms of performance. Still, it was akin to eating chocolate mousse with gauze lining your mouth: The taste just wasn't right. Under John Sculley, Apple Computer launched a project to port the Mac operating system to the Intel 486 board. But the plug got pulled after Michael Spindler took over as CEO in 1993.

Apple launched its "switcher" campaign in 2002, featuring advertisements quoting people who said they'd switched from a PC to a Mac, but as the company underwent its transformation from box maker to digital-entertainment company, the Mac-Windows issue temporarily faded from view. With only a 2.3 percent share of the U.S. PC market last year, however, the switch campaign has a long way to go. It's all well and good to be part of a self-styled elite, but Steve Jobs can't be satisfied with those numbers.

Doubtless many people still refuse to buy the Mac because of a reluctance to give up certain prized applications that run only on Windows. So it was this week that Apple took matters into its own hands with the introduction of Boot Camp, a Windows utility that lets users of Intel-powered Macs run Windows. The download, which is free and, so far, glitch-free, ignited a veritable media scrum. For good reason. On the surface, it's a can't-lose proposition.

Apple's not endorsing Windows. It's endorsing the idea of Windows running on a machine that it sells. Most of the securities analysts who follow the company immediately upped their price projections. The stock gained 10 percent in the next couple of frenzied trading sessions. As far as the Apple faithful posting on the online chat boards were concerned, Boot Camp was a stroke of genius. Period.

Apple's not endorsing Windows. It's endorsing the idea of Windows running on a machine that it sells.
But dare I say this aloud? Boot Camp is a gimmick. A smart gimmick but a gimmick nonetheless.

Boot Camp functions as a security blanket for PC users who would wet their beds without their favorite Windows application. With one download, Apple removed any lingering barriers holding back the potential universe of switchers.

These folks are still running Windows, but for how much longer? With all due respect to Messrs. Gates, Ballmer and Allchin, Windows makes very few hearts (outside the environs of Redmond, Wash.) go pitter-pat. Folks are not clamoring for Windows; they're clamoring to run Windows applications. Do you think that once they get their hands on a Mac, people won't be the least bit curious to experiment with the Macintosh operating system to see what all the fuss is about?

Apple hopes so. The company won't put it so bluntly, but it has zero interest in getting people to use Windows on a Mac. (No accident that Apple's not going to support Windows on the Mac.) They want the voyeurs to take a peek at Mac OS and be seduced by all its charms.

When America's doughboys returned from World War I, the question was how they'd ever remain on the farm after seeing Paris. When Windows users get a gander of the Mac, how many will remain loyal to Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

Reaction score
Not being a programmer I'm probably talking out of my hat (or areas further south), but it seems to me that the real key for Apple to attract switchers would be to put a push on making sure the Win to Mac transition was effortless for key pieces of software (Outlook, Quicken, TurboTax, etc.). If that meant developing a translator, then that's where they should put their programming resources. The only reason I want to dual boot is to allow me continued access to old Win data that cannot be converted to Mac efficiently or easily.

If there were a suite of easy, efficient translators and if Apple offered incentives to get companies to write for the Mac (hello, Intuit??) then they would largely not need Boot Camp (all, of course, IMHO).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.